Paint chrome bumper ?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

884x4310ci

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wondering if there's a way to make paint stick to the chrome bumpers?
I'm tried sanding it with 80 grit. And then etching primer. Then paint. But it did not last the winter.
A lot of it pealed off. Any help would be great
Thanks.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think you have to sand blast the chrome off, before you prime and paint.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have sandblasted a few bumpers, no need to get rid of all the chrome plating just rough it up.
I did the front bumper on my 09 the day I bought it new. 175000 miles later it is still holding other than a few
rock chips. If I had to do it over I would do the same but add flex additive to the clear the same as a bumper cover.
This would help prevent rock chips.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't use aerosols. All automotive refininsh products.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hey guys. Just wondering if there's a way to make paint stick to the chrome bumpers?
I'm tried sanding it with 80 grit. And then etching primer. Then paint. But it did not last the winter.
A lot of it pealed off. Any help would be great
Thanks.

I have a ‘02 4Runner that I painted the chrome bumpers on 3 years ago. Gotta sand it down REAL good with some low grit (80-DA), then self etch, then sand again (120-DA), then self etched again, then topcoat (I think 3 coats). You have to have a rough surface for it to grip to. Work out the blemishes in the topcoat. I remember sanding off the majority of the first coat and some of the second, the third being my finish coat. Absolutely no issues 3 years later. Be SURE you clean very well at every step! If you have trash/dust/oil/any contaminate between coats ... you’re screwed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
can you post the name of the products you used? Self etch has almost zero fill properties so it will not work as stated.
I think you have the wrong terminology which may create a problem if the OP uses this method.

Z7194

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
can you post the name of the products you used? Self etch has almost zero fill properties so it will not work as stated.
I think you have the wrong terminology which may create a problem if the OP uses this method.

I didn’t use it for fill. The sand was to be sure I had good adhesion. The second coat was because there were a few light spots I wanted to be sure I had a good CLEAN coat on. I used Eastwood’s self etch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok glad it is working for you and hope it lasts.
But... it is not the proper method.
I mention this because others reading should know there is a chance of some problems with this method.
Not a guarantee of problems as you bumper proves but a chance none the less.
If others are considering this I can post some steps that will increase your odds f success.
Not trying to knock what others have done, but in 35 yrs of auto painting I have learned what works best
and what problems could arise with other methods.