p0446 Quick Fix Evap. Emissions Vent Circuit Low

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Found this on another site. It has happened to me but I sold the truck before I could try this. Thought it may help someone out.

As the title says: some might have an ses p0446, evap emissions vent circuit low. If you take it to the dealer they want 300-400.00 to fix the problem. GM has a service bulletin on this condition and have the updated part for 180.00, thats suppose to eliminate this issue.
Basically the problem is, the evap purge vent valve gets clogged with dirt, especially if the truck is used in dirty conditions. Well I figured there had to be a cheaper way to cure this problem.
Here it is:
1) find the location of the vent valve; its under the truck, locate the charcoal canister on the front of the gas tank and trace the vent line to the vent valve.
2) Take the bracket loose with a 5/8 wrench.
3) Spin the valve around so the side with the hole is facing you.
4) Take an air compressor and blow the vent valve out.
5) reinstall and clear the code and it's fixed.

Now I know the updated part from gm is supposed to keep the valve from clogging ever again, but why spend the money when all you have to do is blow out the vent valve every 50k-100kmi and save your $$$!

Subject: DTC P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) Set, Service Engine Soon (SES) Lamp Illuminated (Replace Hose/Evaporative Emission (EVAP) Canister Vent Asm) #02-06-04-037A - (02/02/2005)
Models: 1999-2003 Chevrolet Silverado Models
1999-2003 GMC Sierra Models
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This bulletin is being revised to add model years. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 02-06-04-037 (Section 06 -- Engine/Propulsion System).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Condition
Some customers whose vehicles are operated in dusty type environments, such as farming or mining off-road type applications, may comment about the illumination of the instrument panel SES light, with a DTC of P0446 (Restricted/Blocked EVAP Vent Path) being set.

Cause
Dirt and dust intrusion into the EVAP canister vent hose assembly, resulting in restricted air flow, may cause this condition.

Part Number 15086429 Hose Asm-Evap Emis Cnstr Vent