P0430 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JulzLBC

Reaction score
I've been slowly getting my 98 K1500 back the way it should be. Love the truck, so it's been pretty fun so far. I recently replaced my downstream oxygen sensor, cleared that code, but now a couple days later I got the code P0430. From what I've read it's probably a bad cat, but I don't have one. . I see it can also be bad upstream oxygen sensors, a leak (which I don't appear to have) or maybe I need a sensor extension? Just wondering if anyone else isn't using a cat, had this problem and found the solution.

Great site by the way, helped me out alot so far.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You need to either put cats back on the truck, or get the PCM tuned to disable the downstream O2 sensors. Otherwise you'll never eliminate that code or the check engine light that comes with it.

EDIT - Well, not entirely true... Now that I think about it @kennythewelder and a few others have had success "fooling" the rear O2 sensors with spark plug non-foulers and/or pieces of old catalyst material. More info here:

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/remove-your-cats-and-make-a-mini-cat-for-your-rear-02-sensors.30681/

Personally I think putting cats back on the truck is the most elegant solution, but if you want to keep running without them I think a PCM tune is the cleanest and easiest way to eliminate the check engine light. Not the cheapest, though.

Last edited:

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
EDIT - Well, not entirely true... Now that I think about it @kennythewelder and a few others have had success "fooling" the rear O2 sensors with spark plug non-foulers and/or pieces of old catalyst material.

Big Daddies Garage sells those pre-made units.

JulzLBC

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I'll give one of those a try. Thinking maybe the angled one because of the heat shield. A 98.9% success rate sounds like pretty good odds.