Oxy/Acetylene Setup... what do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
We had Oxy/Propane torches at work to cut, well actually melt, the aluminum extrusions between billets with a rosebud tip before we got an automatic shear setup. Anyway, you need a different tip for Propane, Acetylene tips won't give you enough flow IIRC. Just go to your welding jobber and ask. We ran hard lines from the 500 gal tank outside to the cutting station where the regulators/gauges were along with a spring loaded torch hangar that shut off the gas when hung up (gas saver valve). I know this may be a little overkill for your application but, maybe a modified version? If you really want a hot torch go with Propylene, it comes in white bottles. We used that stuff in the Maintenance Department. We also had 100' hoses, you'll need to adjust your pressures a little to overcome friction loss.

https://store.cyberweld.com/smith-g...MIk-_p4u_h6gIVE9bACh1cHQPxEAQYBCABEgLCo_D_BwE

Here's an interesting article...
https://www.wilhelmsen.com/marine-p...reparation/gas-welding--acetylene-vs-propane/

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, yea I knew I would need different tips for propane.

I think I went a bit overboard with these past couple weeks. I got an ebay deal on a used heavy duty victor 315 (same handle as the journeyman) and a used medium duty harris 85 with a cutting head and a #3 welding tip. Well I tried the welding tip and decided to dedicate the 315 to welding for now so I got every tip my tank could handle. #000 up to #5. Pic below, overboard or just a responsible homeowner expanding his capabilities???

You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
New cart DONE!!!

Well not quite, I still need to attach chains instead of using the ratchet straps and I want some sheet metal trays on the sides to hold my cutting tips but done enough until spring.