Oxy/Acetylene Setup... what do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Torch looks old, I would check on availability of consumibles

Sorry about the dumb question but I am newish to oxy/gas. What consumables does a cutting torch need? Is it just the tips and if so are there any interchangeability between brands?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't tell if it has them but you should get flash back arrestors on it, they're required by OSHA in the industrial setting.
Plus, they're a really good idea so you don't have to rush back to the tank, trip and fall on your hoses, and the tank goes off anyways. They are a safety 'must-buy' in my book.

My setup has old bottles that the local vendors won't fill and I haven't replaced them yet. Getting bottles a local vendor will fill is important.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If YOU own the tanks, maybe YOU have to pay to get them re-certified.

I "bought" the little Argon/CO2 bottles for my MIG welder, but my Oxy-Acetylene tanks are both on a 5-year lease. I have to come up with some cash every five years, but there's zero problem with the certification on the tanks expiring; and of course zero problem exchanging the tanks when one or both go empty. Even my "purchased" Argon tanks are just exchanged when they're empty. So in my case, dealing with a local welding gas and welding equipment supplier...I'm covered on the tank certification and exchange.

To my way of thinking, unless the torch is something really weird, you might need fresh O-rings, or maybe a new or longer hose from torch to tanks, but most everything else should be a "done deal". Yes, the welding tips and the cutting tip can get worn out from too-vigorous tip cleaning. Have your welding supplier look it over. OTOH, you can buy "brand new" for $500 and have money left over for some of the tank lease. $500 is way too much to pay for used equipment.

However you choose to go, TALK TO THE PEOPLE YOU'RE BUYING YOUR WELDING GAS FROM, to verify that you can get oxy-acetylene when you need it, that they're not going to snivell about your tanks, etc.

WHAT ARE YOU USING OXY-ACETYLENE FOR? Welding? Cutting? Heating seized bolts? Some insurance companies get allergic to oxy-acetylene tanks in a home shop; thus the popularity of those hand-held inductive heaters for seized hardware--you can glow them orange in thirty seconds with no open flame. A plasma-cutter might be better for cutting, and MIG for welding steel.

I bought my Oxy-Acetylene long before the inductive heaters were sold, and I use it for welding, cutting, AND heating seized bolts. If I were using it only for one of the three, I'd maybe buy different equipment.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought my oxy-acetylene setup from a friend about 15 years ago and I haven't used it yet. Get a handheld propane torch and a plasma cutter and you can do everything you need.

gric_az

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4-500 bucks is an ok deal. You prolly wouldn't find a journeymen setup for less than 500 in AZ. But the main thing to look for is a smooth surface on the neck ring. The will tell you if it's an owner tank. I just exchanged my 125 oxy tank and got a pair of mig gloves for $46 out the door. I told em the tank needed to be re-certified but they didn't care, just swapped it out no problem. Browns welding supply in Casa Grande, az

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
ok, so I did go through with the trade. I stopped to the place (Praxaire) this guy said he exchanged tanks before going to his place and asked what to look for and the service rep was super helpful. I OWN the tanks but they will exchange them on the spot for full/certified tanks and they handle the certifications if my exchanges are out of date.

Once I got to the sellers place, everything checked out. The torch was the Harris model I linked above, lightly used with 2 brand new tips and one lightly used on it. 2 Smith regulators but the acetylene was a female fitting and the new tank was also a female so that showed me that the tank was indeed unused. He immediately went to the hardware store and bought a brand new $120 acetylene regulator for me to complete the trade. So now I have two acetylene regulators. Checked all of the fittings for leaks with soapy water, no bubbles at all.

Pics to follow soon

Oh and I've needed oxy/acet setup for years for all of its uses. I have acreage with outbuildings full of equipment and projects. Just over the long weekend I've already used about 3/4 of the oxygen tank up playing with my new toy.

BTW, welding with a cutting head isn't easy but I was able to get a decent bead going with a slightly carbonizing flame :weld:

Thanks for everybodys help!! if anybody has any other advice as far as using the setup I'd like to hear it!:cheers:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
So I'm bringing this thread back to life for another question.

I am loving this setup so much that I am considering getting another oxygen tank and separate setup dedicated for Oxy/Propane cutting to save some money on filling up acetylene. The propane setup will be stationary with a long hose just for cutting and heating around the shop and I'll use my existing cutting head for that. I want to keep the Oxy/Acetylene setup for welding and mobile cutting/heating however I dont have a welding torch handle yet. So I'm wondering which torch handle would be best for 90% welding and 10% cutting and heating? I'm not sure if a 'heavy duty' one would be worth the added heft when handling it for welding but I also dont want a jewelers torch either.

Also, has anybody used one of those 100ft hose reels before? How do they work with the twin hoses?

Thanks!