Oxy/Acetylene Setup... what do I need to know?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I'm looking at torches and I found one that the seller and I may be coming close to working out a trade (craigslist ad below). I'm somewhat new to oxy/gas torches and I just what to know what to look for if this trade goes through so I'm not getting screwed. I was planning on meeting at a local welding supply store and let the 'experts' look it over too but I just want to go armed with some knowledge before that point. Thanks!!

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/bar/d/new-richmond-oxy-acetelyne-torch-kit/7123894663.html

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had a Smith set years ago (that torch body looks familiar). It worked well but finding parts wasn't the easiest, they're available but, at the time, I had to drive 25 miles to a big welding supply shop downtown. I prefer the Victor "Journeyman" set but, it's $$$$ I can't tell if it has them but you should get flash back arrestors on it, they're required by OSHA in the industrial setting.

https://www.amazon.com/flashback-arrestor-set-acetylene/s?k=flashback+arrestor+set+for+acetylene

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
A couple of things come to mind. In my neck of the woods you need to have a rental/lease agreement to get bottles filled, some shops will only fill their bottles. That is something to find out about before you buy the bottles You can get NEW torch and hose kits for $350.00. The bottle cart is nice if you need to move the bottles around but you can do a lot with the bottles strapped to the wall. I think you might do better than $750.00. JMO

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
well, the price I thought was a bit high, but we're coming to a possible trade. I have about $500 invested in the item that's being traded.

And in an email I just got from him, he owns the tanks but he exchanged them at a hardware store last month. Does that sound right??

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does that sound right??
Some places will do that, Vern Lewis near me does but, just for ***** and giggles, there is a date stamp on them from the last time they were certified. IIRC they have a 10 year span before they have to be certified again.

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
well, the price I thought was a bit high, but we're coming to a possible trade. I have about $500 invested in the item that's being traded.

And in an email I just got from him, he owns the tanks but he exchanged them at a hardware store last month. Does that sound right??

I would verify that YOU can get them filled/exchanged before you do the deal. Talk to the store and see if they will work with you.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
Ok, I'll make sure we meet at a welding supply store to make sure the tanks are transferable.

If everything turns out sound, is a $500 trade reasonable or am I still giving too much?

evilunclegrimace

Reaction score
Ok, I'll make sure we meet at a welding supply store to make sure the tanks are transferable.

If everything turns out sound, is a $500 trade reasonable or am I still giving too much?

I can't say for sure. IF you own the tanks, they are current on certs and can get them filled it is an OK deal but less would be a better deal. It is used equipment of an unknown age. Have the welding shop look them over and see what they say especially about the hoses and gauges. Personally I would offer $400.00 if I had to have them