Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matt Dylan

Reaction score
Found a nail in one of the back tires.

Going to be replacing the spark plugs, the engine has a bit of a "wobble" at stop signs and red lights unless i shift to neutral while waiting if there's a long pause before i need to go again, there's a bump or something that i can feel while driving but it isn't sharp like a jolt or anything like that it just "bumps". I'm going to be checking the diff fluid and the transmission fluid to see if i can narrow it down.

I'll be taking some pictures of the spark plugs when i pull them for comparison.

Matt Dylan

Reaction score
Well the spark plugs weren't as bad as I feared but here was some extra carbon residue and some apparent moisture on them but the overall condition was for the most part not bad but i still replaced them with a higher end OEM spark plug.

It seems like the misfire was solved by removing the battery while i was changing out the plugs, seems that it just needed a reset in order to start working properly again.

It's looking like PB Blaster, a torch, and a large sledge hammer will be the answer to removing and replacing the lower control arms.

Transmission fluid is still OK

Gear oil is overdue, and i need to see if the front 4x4 actuator is actually working correctly.

Driver side window won't roll down now.

Below are the old spark plugs. and you can see a bit of carbon buildup on the outside and the scorch pattern.

You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Matt Dylan

Reaction score
pulled the rear diff cover off and found that the fluid was fine, but the gears ate the magnet that was on the cover, thankfully there's no noticeable damage that i can see so i was able to clean the surfaces as well as i could and apply a new gasket.

Had to use RTV because the cover is pitted from rust so I'm probably going to have to replace the cover eventually as well.

I was able to remove as many of the shards of the magnet from the housing as i could find, all while impressed and thankful that there was no real carnage.

(this truck never ceases to amaze me as to how with everything wrong with it, that it keeps working)

GrimsterGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
pulled the rear diff cover off and found that the fluid was fine, but the gears ate the magnet that was on the cover, thankfully there's no noticeable damage that i can see so i was able to clean the surfaces as well as i could and apply a new gasket.

Had to use RTV because the cover is pitted from rust so I'm probably going to have to replace the cover eventually as well.

I was able to remove as many of the shards of the magnet from the housing as i could find, all while impressed and thankful that there was no real carnage.

(this truck never ceases to amaze me as to how with everything wrong with it, that it keeps working)
On the positive side, those little pieces of magnet that you didn't find will have attached themselves to something rather than be circulating in the oil.

Matt Dylan

Reaction score
I made a list of things I'm gonna get soon for the truck including a new diff cover with a magnetic drain plug and a transmission pan that also has a magnetic drain plug, all with proper gaskets. I'm also gonna get valve cover gaskets and intake manifold gaskets. I have a fuel filter on hand but I'm running out of options with regards to trying to remove the old one without damaging the lines.