Overhead consoles in a single cab - 2 door ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does anyone know for sure will the overhead consoles from an 1988-98 Sierra extended cab / suburban fit

a SINGLE - 2 door cab ? I think I measured my headliner at 27-28" so I was wondering how long those

89-98 consoles are in person and if they will fit ....I could use some more storage .

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I just got up out of my chair to take a tape measure to the OHC in my '97 Suburban, only to remember that it's in storage across town right now. Brain fart... Forgot which truck I was driving. If no one else answers before I swap them out in a few days or if I happen to run by the shop for a minute I'll grab a measurement for you.

89GMCJOHN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got up out of my chair to take a tape measure to the OHC in my '97 Suburban, only to remember that it's in storage across town right now. Brain fart... Forgot which truck I was driving. If no one else answers before I swap them out in a few days or if I happen to run by the shop for a minute I'll grab a measurement for you.

Wow..thanks so much !

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
My '98.
This console is 26.5" long.
Cut off the two rear hooks & attached it to the roof via 2 screws inside the middle door.
The roof is a double skin, but there isn't a lot of room between the 2.
Be VERY careful! Do not use screws that are too long so as to prevent going through the outer skin.
Mines been in there so long I can't remember the exact length.
An inch? Sounds about the length I used. But my H/L has been recovered with the non-original style material (perforated vinyl) & 1/8" closed cell foam, which is a lot firmer than the OE material. The CC doesn't compress as much.
Drill the holes for the rear screws in the console first.
Make sure that you re-use the plastic plug for the screw in the front.
I marked the front center of the H/L with chalk to find the console's location point.
Then I shifted the console fr>rr to find where it fit the contour of the H/L the best. Then mark & drill those rear holes.
Go through that inner metal skin, then use the bit to figure how long that the screws shouldn't be!
3/16" drill bit, #8" screws. ...or maybe a #10. (Damn memory! 'old-fart disease'!)

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Bob L

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I did mine much the same as sewlow. No issues you can tap off dome light to get map lights working.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
The handle/light fixture is a complete unit.
The handle flips down to grab & is spring loaded to hold it flipped up. A wrecker find.
It's a GM part. Usually in pairs. I grabbed both so my driver side has one too. Not that I've ever used the handle. The light...sure. But, it's just more for the symmetry.
IIRC it's from over the rear seat of an 80's/90's Bonneville? Maybe a Cadillac. Higher optioned vehicles mostly have them.
When I get to doing the wrecker-rat thing, I tend not to look too much at the vehicle I'm getting the stuff from. I'm in-&-out of so many, it's hard to keep track!
But...I do stick to the GM stuff. I don't even wander into the Ford or Mopar sections anymore. Makes my skin crawl. Occasional dry heaves. I've learned & now know better.
GM made several styles of those ("Oh ****!") chicken handles. Different divisions seem to have their own versions.
Different colors, too.
A lot of them are spring loaded.
Some with lights, some without. Some have flip out/flip down coat hooks. (Does anyone ever use those? Lol!)
I have some of the other styles in 'the stash'. Think there's a set or 2 of matched pairs in there, too. But they're all in grey.
I had to cut a hole in the roof's inner skin for the light socket inside the handle.
Power was taken from the dome light. (Un-switched side, so it works at any time.)
I grabbed the screws from the donor & wouldn't you know...they're self-tappers!

94SL

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, I know this is a hi-jack, but seems 89GMCJohn's question has been answered.

Is anyone aware of a more detailed post or a how-to on the perforated headliner? I had been thinking of the same thing, vinyl or some other perforated material, instead of the original fabric. I would prefer a headliner without the foam, as it seems the foam just doesn't hold up over time. I am out in the desert, where the summer temps are routinely over 100 degrees for 3 months or so daily