Overdrive alternator pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The AD244 is supposed to put out more down low. I think the CS144 does to an extent, but I have no idea how it compares to a CS130D. I think that as long as a modest bump is expected, an over drive would be a very cheap, and easy solution.... I bet a smaller belt would be the biggest cost, if that would even be needed.

I got the opportunity to work on alternators this past fall, becasue of my 69 Electra. It was actually kind of fun. I had no idea how easy it was to zip off the pulley with an impact. They were older designs, but I can't image the pulleys being any more difficult. I re-used stock pulleys for what I was doing.

What applications are the 144/244 again? I feel like one of those came from a GMT800? For a guy with a 97 down, would an 800 alternator cause issues? 411 swap would alleviate this. Sorry for the minijack Ken and yes, this would 100% require a belt swap. I went 1/4" smaller on my blower pulley on my 1500 and had to get a new belt.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
What applications are the 144/244 again? I feel like one of those came from a GMT800? For a guy with a 97 down, would an 800 alternator cause issues? 411 swap would alleviate this. Sorry for the minijack Ken and yes, this would 100% require a belt swap. I went 1/4" smaller on my blower pulley on my 1500 and had to get a new belt.

The CS144 is the big alternator for Vortec era 400's. It's what I have from the factory. 124 or 140 amps. The AD244 is from the 800's up to 03 or 04, I think. It goes up to 145 amps, I think. Then the DG44 took over.

The CS130D is what most on the board would have on thier Vortec 350's. I think the TBI trucks got the CS130. I'm not sure about a larger alternator on the TBI era trucks.

Kran

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
large case hairpin stator alts put out great power at idle and are direct drop in replacement. 270a units put out 200a at idle all day. even the 370a alts on my truck are rated for about 220 at idle. they also offer better cooling than small case alts.

even small case hairpin stator alts put out good power at idle (but not as much). 180a can do 150a at idle. 275a does about 170 at idle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
large case hairpin stator alts put out great power at idle and are direct drop in replacement. 270a units put out 200a at idle all day. even the 370a alts on my truck are rated for about 220 at idle. they also offer better cooling than small case alts.

even small case hairpin stator alts put out good power at idle (but not as much). 180a can do 150a at idle. 275a does about 170 at idle.

Are there any factory examples of that or is it an aftermarket thing?

Big G

Reaction score
I myself have the same problem as Kenny the welder. My burb has the CS144 alternator and with everything on high and both cooling fans I drop down to 11.5 volts at idle as well. Rather not spend $300 for a high amp alt…

mattillac

Lurker
Reaction score
10 volts sounds pretty low, think I remeber dropping that low with the stock alternator (been a while though).

You must be registered for see images attach

I installed a smaller pulley on the larger AD244 alternator I put in my 1999 5.7 with flex a lite efans. Can't say the pulley made a big difference, if any. But my dash gauge never really seems to drop below about 12.5 volts with the pulley that came with the AD244.

Have my efans powered directly from the aux battery, which is a long way from the main battery / where the alternator connects, and the gauge is somewhat in between. I will eventually move my efan power connection to the underhood fuse box instead of the aux battery in the near future.

FWIW, the smaller pulley did make the stock belt fit the bigger AD244 alternator a little more comfortably.

Got my bigger alternator from the local parts store, pulley came from ebay IIRC.

Not sure that helps, but that's my story.

Best of luck.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
10 volts sounds pretty low, think I remeber dropping that low with the stock alternator (been a while though).

I installed a smaller pulley on the larger AD244 alternator I put in my 1999 5.7 with flex a lite efans. Can't say the pulley made a big difference, if any. But my dash gauge never really seems to drop below about 12.5 volts with the pulley that came with the AD244.

Have my efans powered directly from the aux battery, which is a long way from the main battery / where the alternator connects, and the gauge is somewhat in between. I will eventually move my efan power connection to the underhood fuse box instead of the aux battery in the near future.

FWIW, the smaller pulley did make the stock belt fit the bigger AD244 alternator a little more comfortably.

Got my bigger alternator from the local parts store, pulley came from ebay IIRC.

Not sure that helps, but that's my story.

Best of luck.
Yes, somewhat. Thanks for the reply.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I myself have the same problem as Kenny the welder. My burb has the CS144 alternator and with everything on high and both cooling fans I drop down to 11.5 volts at idle as well. Rather not spend $300 for a high amp alt…
I'm going to get or maybe even make a smaller pulley. I am a welder in a machine shop after all. I can get one of the machinest to do it for me at no cost to me.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I wonder how low the voltage drops on my Saturn when the fans kick in, you can definitely tell a load is being added. The Saturn is all factory.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Im surprised no one tagged me :(

the ad244 (left)- is biggeer than the ad230(right) which looks a lot like the cs130(above) becuase its the evolution.

The CS144, if yo uhave it, is about the same almost power curve as ad244. ad244 brings the power in sooner RPM wise because it cools much better. So you can reduce the pulley, id get a commerically available one tho

Anyway, your oiriginal question, did you mean overdrive as in ratio overdrive or the overruning type that would unload when rpms are slowing down as to be easier on the belt and tensioner and not drag so much etc

Attachments

• DR-AD244.pdf
    87.1 KB · Views: 7