Overdrive alternator pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So the smaller pulley came in today. I got it installed at lunch. Took about 30 mins. I had to remove the alternator, and tilt it upwards, so I could get the impact on the 15/16 nut to remove it. The new pulley is about maybe 1/8 of an inch wider then the OE pulley. I had our lead mechinest look at it, and give me his opinion. It's so little that we both agreed that it should be fine, so I installed it as it came. It's not a whole lot smaller than the OE pulley, but it should give me a few hundred RPMs more at idle, and that's what I'm looking for. I did not need a shorter belt. It also was a close enough fit, to have plenty of tention. Before, I used to have to fight to get the belt over the alternator pulley. Now I have some slack when I push the tentionor in to release the belt. So I did leave to go get my lunch after I finished reinstalling everything. All is good so far. Time will tell how well this mod works. I will repost in the future, with an update.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, so I went out there at brake time, and swapped out the original add on, amp connector that I put on years ago, for a copper lug connector. The old one was made out of led, and had split today when I hooked everything back up, after doing the OD pulley swap. So after I put the new lug on, and, I reconnected everything, I fired up the truck. After resetting the stereo, and all of the BS with that, including the Bluetooth, I turned everything on. AC on high, headlights, stereo, foot on the brake pedal in drive, and even had the door open. I was at around 12.5 volts. Used to be close to 10. So yeah, the smaller pulley helped.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220119-152252_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20220119-152252_Gallery.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20220119_151515.jpg
    20220119_151515.jpg
    367.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 16426277517271718995194906439815.jpg
    16426277517271718995194906439815.jpg
    383.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

clgodwin79

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thats what I'm thinking. There is a bunch of room with the electric fans.
You must be registered for see images attach
Now I see the real reason why you don’t want to change the alternator itself. Someone spent a LOT of time polishing up all of that aluminum to make it that shiny and nice!

Motoracer633

Reaction score
Perfect timing gentleman. I added a couple amps, one class d, two a/b, added the second battery tray from a 5.7 3/4 ton I have along with 2 batts. Both marine one crank one deep cycle. Ditched side post crap. I've bought and sold many but I've found this 95 z71 black ext cab that just feels right...so I'm thinking of keeping it. If not I have a 98 Tahoe with 98k with no motor, new trans...that's been sitting 5 years, so it could be a test bed for future mods. OBD2 would be nice. I'm a marine tech so you know I've always got an eye peeled for a intake I can put really injectors in. All told I'm enjoying playing with my toys for once and as I use an HHR as a tool hauler now because it doesn't need gas I'll be able to scoop up/install some fun parts this summer. Probably not the right place for a first post?!