Overdrive alternator pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you go the alternator route, check out the aan ones on eBay. Been running them for years with zero issues. I picked up 2 300a ones for $400 ( yeah that's $200 each).they perform great. Even when I only had 1 voltage stayed solid ( 2 batteries , about 12,000 watts of amps, but dula runs of 3/0 welding cable). Ur biggest issue is the TINY wire from battery to the fuse lock. Big 3,4,5 helps battery get more amperage but it's still choked between battery and electrical system. I run no less than 4ga OFC to everything even on stock trucks and if alt is worth a crap usually no dimming or bolt drop.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And get the bigger Alt made for say a 03 suburban, that's the bigger case alt. Just make sure it's the 4 wire plug, even the 2020 Silverado alt will fit our older trucks just the newer (like 07) has pcm tell it to turn on , it can be done with a knob but not worth that in ur case.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Since "problem" was only at idle. Bumping up the minimum rate alternator spins solved the problem. Even higher output alternator seldom produce more amperage than stock when idling. Which is why when going with a higher output alternator (on another vehicle) did practically nothing to address this issue. But a slightly smaller pulley did.

Frank Enstein

Best. Day. EVER!
Reaction score
I would try the pulley first.

As a rule of thumb, max rpm of an alternator should be 15,000 unless the manufacturer says otherwise.

So 15,000 divided by max rpm = drive ratio.

Crank pulley diameter divided by drive ratio = best pulley size.

When you get your new, shorter belt get two of them because they can no longer be looked up at the auto parts store.

Run one for a week, mark the direction of rotation on it, and remove it to put the other one on.

Put the one week belt into the sleeve it came in and toss it behind the seat so when it pukes in the middle of nowhere you have a proven worn-in belt with you.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, I do see 14 volts on the gauge above 1000 RPMs. My thoughts are to try a smaller pulley first. If that doesn't do the trick, then I will eventually replace the alternator with a bigger or higher out put alternator. I have no issues with the battery keeping up with the extra draw, and that is why I have let this go so long. I just want to make it better that it is now, even though it's not a real problem. LOL, it's just triggers my little voice we all have, and that voice says, hey man, that just isn't rite. You need to fix that, before it's a problem.
I would run your alternators sense wire first.

The low voltage at low rpm will probably be much less doing so, which also would indicate some distance or voltage drop is occuring in your connections which the voltage sense wire will correct for. your alternator, by chance ,is it got 2 wires used on the connector in the center or just 1, at all? the outer two are not important for that question(sense and tachometer)

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And get the bigger Alt made for say a 03 suburban, that's the bigger case alt. Just make sure it's the 4 wire plug, even the 2020 Silverado alt will fit our older trucks just the newer (like 07) has pcm tell it to turn on , it can be done with a knob but not worth that in ur case.
that would be the rectifer bridge would be replaceable to a 4 pin OR using a remote PWM controller to control output

He only needs to look to 99 ish up when the AD244(DR44 in 2020) for an alternator.
However, his does work fine. if it works fine, he should keep it.

My ad237 is original 99 226k miles, and its bearing is a little noisy but still got a way before needing service or replacement.

Plus if hes going custom, a dual bridge rectifier alternaotr at stock otherwise would be infinitely more useful to him and last forever :)

The CS130D only weakness is the rectifier bridge because 1) It runs hotter than ad series 2) Its physical incorporation just isnt condusive to being cooler

heres mine
You must be registered for see images attach

If it were an AD230(the newer CS130D equivalent) it would have a smaller pulley, but it has a higher output at idle over the AD230. not truly a heck-of-a-lot but enough to need a different belt.

letitsnow

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Will a bigger alternator/smaller pulley put more drag on the belt/motor, negating the benefits of the e fan conversion?