Over riding daytime running lights?

Discussion in 'Audio + Electronics' started by Bob Richards, Feb 27, 2021.

1. Schurkey

Schurkey I'm Awesome

God bless the Kentucky Fried Movie. Gotta scroll to 6:28 (close to the end) of this clip.

There was a time, early in the Center High-Mounted Stop Light (CHMSL) story, when the NHTSA actually admitted that high-mounted stop lights didn't do a damned thing to improve safety. That study has long-since been scrubbed from the web site.

Yes. Yes, Yes, Yesyesyes.

Total bullshit, complete propaganda, massive lie...but "good publicity".

Last edited: Mar 2, 2021
    Ehall8702 and thegawd like this.
  2. Supercharged111

Supercharged111 I'm Awesome

Not everyone in the AF. When I cross trained out of aircraft maintenance into being a space nerd in 2010 (the outside pay is soooooo much better) all the prior maintainers showed up to school wearing reflective belts as the weather was inclement. We got bitched at by the wimpiest Master Sergeant about being out of uniform. It was hard to take him seriously, we all just looked at each other like WTF just happened? If we weren't wearing the belt in our prior career field some senior NCO who actually wears his ovaries on the outside would have given us a decent ass chewing. That guy was a joke.

3. CrustyJunker

CrustyJunker Tractor

Chiming in the rants for fun. Maybe I'll feel better!

I think those flashing 3rd brake lights are kind of distracting. I'm more used to them now, but for some reason when I first saw them my instinct was more "what?" than "stop!" Couldn't explain it, it's literally just a flashing light...But It wasn't traditional and just messed with me.

Imagine if they took a standard stoplight at a single intersection, but changed the red light to flash rapidly. Just one intersection, but no one told you about it, and it's not standard anywhere. That would give me a feeling of...Okay, I guess that means stop - but, what else? Guess that's the feeling I got.

Only thing I like about 3rd brake lights (especially OEM LED ones) is the boneheads out there who don't maintain their vehicles and have both brake lights burned out and leave them like that. Buys me additional time when they slam on their brakes I guess!

swb charlie and df2x4 like this.
  4. east302

east302 I'm Awesome

Is that a new thing? I’ve never noticed cars with those before. Or maybe I have and just thought it was someone tapping the brake that couldn’t make up their mind.

5. Supercharged111

Yes, and not all new cars have it.

swb charlie likes this.
  6. CrustyJunker

CrustyJunker Tractor

I'm seeing it on many used cars around here, too. I'm not wondering if some dealers just put in an inline module or something? Saw a couple Ram trucks with incandescent bulbs that seemed to dimly flash and misbehave. It's not mandated anywhere that I know of.

We also get lots of out-of-state city traffic. People will drive an hour plus out of their way for cheaper gas and skip their local city taxes.

7. Erik the Awful

Erik the Awful Supporting Member

IYAMYAS. :p

8. Supercharged111

The only ones I ever heard spout that off were the MUNS knuckle draggers.

9. Erik the Awful

Erik the Awful Supporting Member

The ammo guys like to pretend they invented that saying, but they know they're second-string. Without ammo, the Air Force is PMC. Without maintenance, the Air Force is NMC. Everybody treats maintenance like we don't exist, until they're stuck somewhere with a broke plane. Then we get treated like royalty.

"A pilot without a maintainer is just a pedestrian with cool sunglasses and a leather jacket."

F4U-1A and swb charlie like this.
  10. Supercharged111

It's no different on the outside, at least in South Dakota. The pay was crap so I jumped ship. I miss fixing planes, but I don't miss freezing my dick off on the flight line or sweating my sack off on it either. Looks like you guys are getting shorts now though?