Order of receiver and bumper re-install?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I've had the receiver and rear bumper (factory parts) off of my truck since 2018, when I pulled the bed to do the fuel tank. I'd like to re-install them. I haven't even looked at them yet, but I'd like to have an idea of what I'm doing beforehand. Does the receiver go on first, or should the bumper? It's been too long since I took it apart to remember.

I just ran across the brackets and bolts the other day. I think I have new bolts to replace quite a few of them, too.

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Install the bumper first. It will be easier to get at the end bolts and prevent busted knuckles. Put on the receiver, then make the tail light connection.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
If the hitch doesn't bolt to the bumper mounts it probably doesn't matter. I know it does on my 1500 short bed.

I haven't figured that out yet. I was looking at the brackets, and I think maybe they do contact each other with bolts passing through the other component.

I pressure washed the bumper and reciver today, then scrubbed the brackets and started pawing though the bolts. I'm trying to decide if I just want to bolt stuff on, or if I want to hit the brackets and receiver with some paint first.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Worked on it today..... decided not to do any paint work, as I don't want to spend the time/effort to do it right, and the truck is getting rusty enough, I'm not sure it's worth it anyway. I decided to simply spray the parts with Blaster's new Fluid Film competitor.... it's a bit more expensive, but sprays MUCH MUCH better than Fluid Film. I think this has replaced the much cheaper petroleum product that they had for awhile.... spray vasoline, basically. The new one is lanolin, like FF, but doesn't smell the same.

I was going to attach the main brackets to the bumper, and then slide the assembly into the frame, but found that the bed interferes with that. The edge of the bed drops below the top edge of the frame rails. I only had the brackets hand tight on the bumper, so I removed them, and began assembling them to the frame. I then put the receiver in place, and then added the outer bumper brackets. Everything is just hand tight and is waiting for me to fit the bumper on, adjust the position and tighten everything up. I was running out of light.

It looks like I'll be using some of the original hardware as I didn't buy enough to replace everything. No big deal, I'll just pick the best of the original hardware, and it's all been wire wheeled already.

JOHNGAAA1, got me thinking about tool clearance, so I put the bolt heads to the inside, and the nuts outside.... no idea how it was before. I simply don't recall, and the bumper has been replaced twice already. Once by a body shop, and once by me, so no telling what was original.

I also sprayed out the electrical connection for the plate lights. That was nasty. I hope it actually makes a connection.