Options for Trailering my 96

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm going to be moving in about a week and will probably need to take my truck with me if it doesn't sell first. I'm just trying to figure out the best way to move it. I sort of looked into having it hauled, but that seemed way more expensive than it's worth for the distance. I just need to go about 5 hours from Idaho to Utah. Has anyone heard of a place that'll rent flatbed trailers one way like uhaul? I was also thinking about getting a uhaul dolley but wasn't sure if my truck would fit. The truck I'm hauling is a 2wd extended cab, long bed 2500. The tires are 265/75r16. Anyone know if this will fit on a uhaul dolley? Really don't want to make multiple trips shuffling vehicles/people around.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thinking about flat towing it. Anyone know of a relatively inexpensive tow bar that bolts onto these trucks? Or a bolt on adapter?

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Found a tow bar on facebook, so I think I'm gonna have the local welder make me some brackets to bolt it on to the truck and go that route.

To all of you who have used a dolly or flat towed before, did you remove the driveshaft completely or just undo the rear end and strap it up to the crossmember?

andy396

GMT400 Enthusiast
Reaction score
To all of you who have used a dolly or flat towed before, did you remove the driveshaft completely or just undo the rear end and strap it up to the crossmember?

If you can strap it up very securely, probably best to go that route.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Found a tow bar on facebook, so I think I'm gonna have the local welder make me some brackets to bolt it on to the truck and go that route.

I flat towed my Crown Victoria from MI to SD to CA, had reinforcements made to my bumper brackets but my Harbor Freight towbar bolted right up. Watch out for panic stops and the truck will wander a little side to side at times, but shouldn't give you any trouble. That was my only option for getting both of my vehicles to SD in one trip as the truck (88 C1500) didn't have enough payload remaining to trailer it and I didn't have trailer brakes anyway. The dollies tow a little better but for a one time shot I'd just use the bar.

Maroon96

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it ended up working out fine. The brackets I had made just bolted to the frame in place of the tow hooks. It was kind of close with the magnetic trailer lights I got though. Even with a four foot extension, I was worried it wouldn't be enough slack on tighter turns. But I never had a problem with them other than the red/amber lenses being backwards on them.