Opinions on LS Swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

brningdawn

Reaction score
Hello Everyone. I was hoping to get some opinions from those more experienced. I have a 1992 GMC K1500 Z71. I'm considering swapping in an 6.0 LS engine. I have a chance to buy what is supposed to be and LS2 out of a Trailblazer SS with 6.2 heads, springs, push rods, and intake of a 2013 Camaro. It's also supposed to have a "very big cam". Still waiting for the specs on that. And it has headers on it. The guy wants $1000. Assuming everything checks out what do you all think.

I'm assuming this is going to be a high revving motor which is not what I'm really interested in for a 4x4. Would just putting a different cam in it be good enough to bring low end power? Should I keep the heads, intake etc.. off the camaro? Or should I just keep the bottom end and sell all the camaro parts and replace them with more truck oriented parts to get better low to mid range torque?

Jglew82

I fix stuff
Reaction score
If it has a huge cam, I'd definitely go for a smaller cam spec'd for trucks/towing, but I'd leave everything else alone. If you do a truck intake, you'll need to find an L92 intake and those are pretty spendy. Plus, you'll probably start to hate the high idle and need for a new torque converter that huge cams necessitate. My 6.0 has a very mild (216/220 .550/.550 112LSA) cam and It has good manners with stock torque converter. That being said, if I had to do it over again, I'd just build a big small block. My plans now are to yank the 6.0 and do a 4bt swap. some other swap.

Last edited:

TheAutumnWind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Find out the cam specs. Either way that thing is going to have way more torque then your truck has currently.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Find out the cam specs. Either way that thing is going to have way more torque then your truck has currently.
Not at low rpm it won't. Under 2,500 rpm not a chance in hell will a cammed LS make more torque than a 5.7 350 especially with TBI heads.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it has a huge cam, I'd definitely go for a smaller cam spec'd for trucks/towing, but I'd leave everything else alone. If you do a truck intake, you'll need to find an L92 intake and those are pretty spendy. Plus, you'll probably start to hate the high idle and need for a new torque converter that huge cams necessitate. My 6.0 has a very mild (216/220 .550/.550 112LSA) cam and It has good manners with stock torque converter. That being said, if I had to do it over again, I'd just build a big small block. My plans now are to yank the 6.0 and do a 4bt swap.

Bigger inch small block is definately the way to go. If I had more of a budget I would have built a 427 small block rather than the 11:1 383 I built. Then again I love both of my 8.1s.