opening questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swstevenson

Reaction score
Hey folks, glad to join and hopefully learn a lot. Not a mechanic by any means but I know my way around a vehicle and garage. I’m bought a 1990 gmc c2500 flatbed with the 454 for my company as I’ll be hauling an enclosed 7x16 almost all the time, but I plan on using it as a general point a-b kind of truck too. So far I love it, but I have some questions for y’all!

1) the truck has been run hard but has about 169,000 miles, and is in decent running shape. What are the first things I should do with this new truck mechanically?

2) I’m new to the big block as The biggest Truck I’ve had was a 5.3 1500.. what are tips for an older model big block to really get longevity out of this thing as a hauler?

3) it’s a work truck so I’m not worried about scratches, or dents, but I wanna make it look cool while keeping the functionality of what I’m doing…I can’t seem to find any 2500 (2wd) specific lifts for it, and I’m scared to put the lift spindles for the 1500 on there since it’s going to be hauling.. any suggestions on lifts? Just wanna give it a mean stance. Would the 1500 spindles work?

4) I’m a Valvoline guy and use full syn in my 2008 Chevy, but I’ve heard not to use full syn in these older models… any suggestions on what oil these big guys like?

thanks for the input and I’m sure I’ll have more questions to add as I drive the wheels off!

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Just get the truck running good,change the fluids, be sure the frontend is good, and tires are good,and your golden. @ 169,000 miles, thats not really high for the age of the truck. And as for oil, run what you like. Its more important to keep up with your oil changes than what your running. The subject of what oil is best, always sparks huge debates. These engines were designed to run dyno oil and will run just fine on ether. It is much more important to do you oil and filter changes as recommended.

swstevenson

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Just get the truck running good,change the fluids, be sure the frontend is good, and tires are good,and your golden. @ 169,000 miles, thats not really high for the age of the truck. And as for oil, run what you like. Its more important to keep up with your oil changes than what your running. The subject of what oil is best, always sparks huge debates. These engines were designed to run dyno oil and will run just fine on ether. It is much more important to do you oil and filter changes as recommended.
I appreciate it! I plan on doing a huge in depth check on everything here soon
Welcome aboard!
We like pictures around here,
I'll have to throw some on here soon

Eveready

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@kennythewelder gave you great advice. My way of saying it is fix everything that needs fixing and make sure all maintenance items are up to date. If it has AC fix that too.If the seats are crappy fix or replace them. Get it into tip top shape the way it came from the factory. THEN it is time to look at "cool" mods. In my not so humble opinion, these trucks have lot of "cool" on their own and one in really great shape is something else.

Welcome to the forum. If the people on here don't know the answer to your questions you are breaking new ground.

swstevenson

Reaction score
@kennythewelder gave you great advice. My way of saying it is fix everything that needs fixing and make sure all maintenance items are up to date. If it has AC fix that too.If the seats are crappy fix or replace them. Get it into tip top shape the way it came from the factory. THEN it is time to look at "cool" mods. In my not so humble opinion, these trucks have lot of "cool" on their own and one in really great shape is something else.

Welcome to the forum. If the people on here don't know the answer to your questions you are breaking new ground.
For sure the needed maintenance will be done first and foremost. Like I said it’s a work truck so the exterior itself isn’t why I bought it (though I do like it). It needs the A/C fixed, it needs some new door bushings, new door handle, and it’s got to be serviced. The look I’m going after will come down the road. I’m a career firefighter in North Al, and own a lawn care business on the side so it’s gonna be hauling around mowers, and other equipment. One thing I would like to do is repaint the cab. It’s a flatbed, but the cab paint is in rough shape to say the least (I.e. clear coat peeling, paint chipped off, bare metal showing in spots, etc)… I bought it from my dept when they decided to get rid of some old unused service trucks.