Open Element question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
High pressure zone at the front but notice that over the hood the pressure is low and the pressure is only regained at the base of the windshield. A scoop mid-hood is pointless and the base of the windshield is the chosen point to draw air for the HVAC so that's where a scoop has to draw from also to be effective.

You must be registered for see images attach

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Let’s be real….we don’t have a “Shaker” grille, the air after all is just going into the fender. The actual early ducted version might be able to make a case, but they are restricted seemingly.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I guarantee it’s there, unless your really looking, it just looks like a hole in core support. I don’t think light fixture would restrict it too much, it’s actually above opening. Once at speed, whatever available air is there would still go in, I mean even if it mounted on the grille face I don’t see it functioning that much more. I’ll go talk to the HVAC guys…….

Yeah, I wasn't really paying much attention to it. I just briefly noticed the opening, while I was working. I don't doubt that it functions fine with the light nearby. My 69 Buicks suck in enough air with their air cleaner housing pulling in air from a rather small extension. I was surprised how forceful the pull was, when I revved my truck's 454 with the bare throttle-body exposed (no air cleaner, no MAF) right after a thorough cleaning, last summer.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don’t think light fixture would restrict it too much, it’s actually above opening. Once at speed, whatever available air is there would still go in, I mean even if it mounted on the grille face I don’t see it functioning that much more.
High pressure zone at the front but notice that over the hood the pressure is low and the pressure is only regained at the base of the windshield.

If you look at the picture I posted previously

Then look at this one, The grille with panels meeting the headlights, then directly below them, then the parking/turn housing bolted to the grille (directly in front of the CAI port) with no gaps between them, and the trim piece just under the bumper and connected to the grille, then the valance bolted to the bumper, it looks to me the air will have to go around them, in front of the radiator and get sucked through the port in the core support.

I'm thinking whatever pressure built up when the truck is moving is diminished somewhat by the air sucked in by the radiator and fan.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you look at the picture I posted previously

Then look at this one, The grille with panels meeting the headlights, then directly below them, then the parking/turn housing bolted to the grille (directly in front of the CAI port) with no gaps between them, and the trim piece just under the bumper and connected to the grille, then the valance bolted to the bumper, it looks to me the air will have to go around them, in front of the radiator and get sucked through the port in the core support.

I'm thinking whatever pressure built up when the truck is moving is diminished somewhat by the air sucked in by the radiator and fan.
Yeah, your right, it is in front. But still it’s not tight up to it and I think air is obviously still getting in. Even if it was grille face mounted, it’s getting dumped into fender(where any forced air pressure would dissolve, cause it’s doubtful it’s air tight in there), then turn right and into airbox, through the filter and then a few more obstacles before throttle body. Almost an Oliver Stone Magic air molecule theory. But that’s for a Vortec. Almost like they were onto something with the original duct on the early system.
Or….
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Or you could attach a vacuum gauge hose to the air cleaner housing on the DIRTY side of the air filter. Route the gauge inside where it can be easily read by the driver.

Take the truck out, hit maximum RPM at WFO throttle. Look for vacuum in the air cleaner. If you don't have significant vacuum, leave the system the hell alone.

If you DO have significant vacuum, you might want to look into reducing restrictions.

The next test would be to do the same thing with the vacuum gauge on the clean side of the filter. If you have vacuum, you need a bigger/less-restrictive air filter.

Bigger engines and higher RPM make for more air demand, and require lower restriction.

First Guesses: Dicking with the air intake on a V6 or 305 is pointless. A stock 350 is probably also fine as-built. A stock 454 or Diesel could make a difference...maybe. MODIFIED 454 would likely need a bigger air inlet system.

But I'm willing to be proven wrong.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The air passing through the radiator doesn't have an easy a passage so a pressure head builds ahead of it that is available for the inlet ducting to draw from.
The truth of how GM configured this though would be best compromise between enough cold air supply and protection from ingress of water while traversing deep water - no?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was working on getting some more stuff done on my new short block installation when I thought of this thread again. I decided to look at the duct inside the fender. It is quite restrictive, IMO. Plus, If I were to remove it, I'd have to make a flange for the air box or drier hose (or whatever) to attach to since it's all 1 piece.

The flange is fairly large but, when it takes the right angle turn inside, there's maybe 1/2 the volume. :rolleyes:

The plot thickens...

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Eh? In the several trucks where I've removed that inner fender ductwork, there's no need to make anything to hook the hose (or resonator) back up. There's a plastic collar that snaps into the fender and joins the resonator to the hose (or non-resonator style long hose like pictured.) Does your truck not have this piece?

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a plastic collar that snaps into the fender and joins the resonator to the hose (or non-resonator style long hose like pictured.) Does your truck not have this piece?
I don't think so, I'll have to go look at my parts. I just guessed, since the plastic duct sticks out proud of the fender liner, it was what help the hose in place.