Only starts after block heater is plugged in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They aren’t standardized here in Texas, most places have a red handle for “ethanol free” while other have red for “may contain 10% ethanol”. Others are all black, others are green for gas and black for diesel

I even saw a red diesel and green gas at the same pump the other day. No heckin way I’m getting gas there lol

I’ve often thought there should be a requirement to implement some level of standardization and/or making diesel nozzles too large to fit unleaded filler necks. Of course go through all of that or even just being diligent on your own to avoid the mistake then something like this happens…

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I've found for GASOLINE nozzles:

§ 1090.1550 Requirements for gasoline dispensing nozzles used with motor vehicles.

(a) The following refueling hardware specifications apply for any nozzle installation used for dispensing gasoline into motor vehicles:

(1) The outside diameter of the terminal end must not be greater than 21.3 mm.
(2) The terminal end must have a straight section of at least 63 mm.
(3) The retaining spring must terminate at least 76 mm from the terminal end.
(b) For nozzles that dispense gasoline into motor vehicles, the dispensing flow rate must not exceed a maximum value of 10 gallons per minute. The flow rate may be controlled through any means in the pump/dispenser system, as long as it does not exceed the specified maximum value. Any dispensing pump dedicated to heavy-duty vehicles or airplanes is exempt from this flow-rate requirement.

Haven't found the DIESEL equivalent...yet.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Note that this is specifically for 15 ppm sulfur Diesel fuel, not Diesel in general. May/may not be important.
EPA did not require unique dispenser nozzles for 15 ppm diesel fuel. This is something we considered on several occasions, but concluded, after discussions with the relevant stakeholders that misfueling would not likely be significant enough to justify the cost and burden of the vehicle and fuel pump changes.

The nonroad diesel rule includes labeling requirements for fuel dispensers and vehicles to help prevent misfueling. The fuel dispenser labeling requirements finalized in the highway diesel rule were superceded by those in the nonroad diesel rule (see 40 CFR 80.570, 80.571, 80.572, 80.573, & 80.574).

and a "mine safety" regulation that may/may not apply to ordinary on-highway vehicles:
§ 75.1905 Dispensing of diesel fuel.
(a) Diesel-powered equipment in underground coal mines may be refueled only from safety cans, from tanks on diesel fuel transportation units, or from stationary tanks.
(b) Fuel that is dispensed from other than safety cans must be dispensed by means of -
(1) Gravity feed with a hose equipped with a nozzle with a self-closing valve and no latch-open device;
(2) A manual pump with a hose equipped with a nozzle containing a self-closing valve; or
(3) A powered pump with:
(i) An accessible emergency shutoff switch for each nozzle;
(ii) A hose equipped with a self-closing valve and no latch-open device; and
(iii) An anti-siphoning device.
(c) Diesel fuel must not be dispensed using compressed gas.
(d) Diesel fuel must not be dispensed to the fuel tank of diesel-powered equipment while the equipment engine is running.
(e) Powered pumps shall be shut off when fuel is not being dispensed.

So--I guess--there's no law against using an "Unleaded Gasoline" sized nozzle for Diesel fuel. If there is...I haven't found it.

Last edited:

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm looking too, and the EPA doesn't appear to have any regulations on diesel dispensers, just gasoline.

Way back when I was a dealer technician a fellow tech had a Nissan Altima which the owner swore he filled with gas. It was diesel. The tech drained the tank and swapped the fuel filter and all was good. If swapping your fuel filter doesn't resolve it you have a separate problem.

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I was thinking it would be illegal to have a Diesel fuel nozzle that could fit into an "Unleaded" fuel-filler restrictor. Apparently that's not the case. I guess I learned something here.
I think that was the case before diesel engines started to find their way into half ton trucks, suvs, etc. I learned the hard way lol.

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In Germany the green nozzles are gasoline. I don't recall if the nozzle sizes were different.

That's the thing...it seems every gas station is different. At one station yellow is diesel and red is gasoline. At another, diesel is black and gasoline is green. One would think that there would be some consistency to help avoid dumba$$es like me.

Darkimag22

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I agree with both the coolant heater not warming the coolant much, and a faulty (or soon to be) coolant temp sensor causing a hard start issue.

How far away from the sensor is the actual heater element? Could it be warming the coolant around the sensor enough within that 5 minute time frame to see a different reading? (I’m from the south and have never even seen one lol)

Do you have an ohm meter to check the resistance of the sensor (before and after heating) or a scan tool to see what the computer is seeing as a value? ( I don’t remember the specific number but usually when the sensors go bad the computer will show a value of “-55f” I think)
I'll grab my MM and see what I get for a reading. It's not that expensive so I might just replace it anyway.

Thanks for the info guys. I'll report back.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I am in Texas and the only colors I have noticed are Black or Red for Gasoline, Blue for E15, Yellow for E85 and Green for Diesel. That being said I was in a rush one day, not paying attention and a diesel nozzle will fit right into the unleaded filler hole on the 2011 Pathfinder. I caught my error before pumping anything. My mom on the other hand put a gallon or two of diesel into the same vehicle before she noticed her mistake. It burned the diesel/gas mixture and never caused an issue. I have seen both a Sierra and a Maxima pumped full of diesel.

The really expensive mistake is DEF into a Diesel tank. Seen it multiple times on Fords and Titans where both fillers are in the same fuel door.