Oil pressure drops

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Just recently when I start in first (manual) my oil pressure goes to 0 as soon as the clutch is out and will go back up to 40 after a second. It will also go to 0 if I give it too much gas in first but no other gear. Any idea what it could be? Or if I should be worried about it?

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The OE gauges are not real accurate to begin with. It sounds like you may have a short in the wiring for the meter. If you are loosing oil pressure that is an issue, but is it that or is it just a faulty gauge or wiring, that is the question. If you install a good gauge than you can see if it does the same thing or not. IMO, you have a short in the wiring some where. Here is a link to the kind of gauge I am talking about installing.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g2972

Reaction score
I thought I heard something about the OE gauges being faulty, I figured id ask before spending money on new gauges. Its a 94 with the 5.7 btw

grampadirt

On MEDICARE Officially Old
Reaction score
Just an idea.....I installed a set of gauges years ago cuz I didn't trust the factory ones.The oil pressure gauge is mechanical using a copper tube going to the existing oil pressure sensor and ''teeing'' it.I have a pic somewhere and will post it when I find it.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

swsmith1971

Reaction score
This may help or it may not, My 92 Sierra was having issues with oil pressure as well. I would sit a stop light or just idling in park in the driveway and my oil pressure would drop from 30 to 0 when the engine warmed up. It was either a gauge malfunction, the oil pressure sending unit, or the oil pump in the pan. I chose to go the cheapest route and bought a new oil pressure sending unit. It seems that my old one was cracked. Replacing it fixed my problem. Now my oil pressure is around 60 or better at startup and usually doesn't go below 40 at idle or in park.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Verify with an aftermarket guage. Wouldn’t bother with a full install right away just hook it up and ‘set’ the guage on the dash. Watch for it to do the same thing as the original. If it’s doing the same thing it’s not your guage/sender that’s the problem. Look for the main bearings to be toast.

Reaction score
Came back from being out of town and problem was gone? I don't know what changed, oil was slightly low so topped that off after but the problem hasnt come back. Thanks for the advice, I might just buy some gauges anyways for 30 bucks it can't hurt to have something more accurate

Reaction score
Came back from being out of town and problem was gone? I don't know what changed, oil was slightly low so topped that off after but the problem hasnt come back. Thanks for the advice, I might just buy some gauges anyways for 30 bucks it can't hurt to have something more accurate

Sounds like you were exposing the oil pickup at launch.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
eee, that's scary. It's no wonder so many of these no longer sport their original engine. Check your fluids often!

A long time ago I had brand new Trick Flow cylinder heads installed on my Firebird in place of the old oil chugging units. I checked the oil after the first fill up, no change. So I figured it was good and that it no longer burned oil & so stopped checking it. Well, go to turn into work one morning and the oil pressure gage dipped left to 0 real fast and then back to 30 something. EEE! Sure enough, nothing on the stick, took like 2 quarts before I saw a sliver on the stick.