Oil Pan Gasket Under Stupid Plastic Timing Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
Had to join in the discussion for humor sake. Also happened on my old Vortec truck. If I remember correctly, my Haynes manual even warned that the gasket will probably tear on removal...It did. - Wasn't funny at the time.

I was able to pull down the pan, stretch a new 1 piece gasket on it (4WD too), and then move on to the timing cover. Method of "The Right Stuff," sounds way easier than what I struggled with!

GT80

Reaction score
This has turned into one helluva project, but at least I know it'll be done right when I'm finished. I got the front diff loose today but didn't really feel too good about removing it without some better support. It doesn't really look like it weighs much but hard to tell if you've never handled one. I stopped work and ordered a transmission jack. It'll come in handy later anyway.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Late to the party, but for future reference…….
To replace the timing cover, the oil pan should be loosened and dropped down. If the oil pan is still bolted on tight, attempting to lever the timing cover back into place and prevent leaks is nigh unto impossible. As noted it often tears the pan gasket when removing the cover. To install the cover and properly fill the corners with RTV where the timing cover meets the oil pan and gasket without lowering the pan generally results in a leak.

It is it’s best to replace the oil pan gasket when replacing the timing cover. Yes, it adds a whole ‘nother dimension to the job, making what initially appears to be a straightforward job even harder and more time consuming.

Believe me, I have done this the wrong way and correct way multiple times on my two Vortecs and assisted friends on their’s.

Undoubtedly there’ll be a half dozen posts claiming they have successfully installed a cover without touching the pan using grandma’s spit, a 6 foot crow bar and logging chain.

I be skeptical……

xXxPARAGONxXx

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Late to the party, but for future reference…….
To replace the timing cover, the oil pan should be loosened and dropped down. If the oil pan is still bolted on tight, attempting to lever the timing cover back into place and prevent leaks is nigh unto impossible. As noted it often tears the pan gasket when removing the cover. To install the cover and properly fill the corners with RTV where the timing cover meets the oil pan and gasket without lowering the pan generally results in a leak.

It is it’s best to replace the oil pan gasket when replacing the timing cover. Yes, it adds a whole ‘nother dimension to the job, making what initially appears to be a straightforward job even harder and more time consuming.

Believe me, I have done this the wrong way and correct way multiple times on my two Vortecs and assisted friends on their’s.

Undoubtedly there’ll be a half dozen posts claiming they have successfully installed a cover without touching the pan using grandma’s spit, a 6 foot crow bar and logging chain.

I be skeptical……
Don't forget duct tape.