Oil Pan Gasket Under Stupid Plastic Timing Cover

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT80

Reaction score
1998 5.7. I pulled the original timing cover off today and it was glued so tight to the oil pan gasket it pulled one corner of the gasket out from between the block and pan and the rest of the plastic cover broke and stayed attached to the other side. I was as gentle as I could be but there was no other way I could see to separate them. So now I'm wondering if I'm going to have a leak area on the passenger side front of the oil pan. Do you think degreasing as best as possible and sealing with some good RTV will do the trick? I can't tell if it actually tore or not. Were these originally 1 piece from the factory or 4 piece? Parts diagram attached shows 4 piece but the photo of the replacement on that same site shows it being 1 piece, although this could just be a superseded part.

Attachments

• OPG.JPG
    OPG.JPG
    17.5 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_5544.jpg
    IMG_5544.jpg
    294.5 KB · Views: 52

JOHNGAAA1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There is a product called "The right stuff" . It is heavy duty gasket maker and it comes in a caulking tube. If you have any chance of sealing it and not pulling the pan, this will be your only shot at it. Good Luck.

JeremyNH

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Exact same thing happened to me when I pulled my timing cover last spring. As the previous poster noted "the right stuff" works fine. One note though is that you need a VERY thick bead on the bottom of the cover, as in almost the whole tube thick. Also hit the gasket side of the plastic cover with a small bead right where the inlaid rubber gasket ends at the bottom on both sides else it will leak there. I used the needle applicator to dab a little between the oil pan and pan rail right where the cover was because some of the gasket material, mostly on the drivers side, pulled out from the pan-pan rail gap. Careful not to overtighten the shoulder bolts putting the new cover on. 7-9 ft-lbs, no more. Anyway a few thousand miles and a year later no leaks (though it did leak on my first attempt, slow drop every 10 seconds from one of the bottom corners, hence my warning about hitting the gasket side with a little dab).

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this happen too. I replaced the torn gasket with new. On a C model, dropping the pan is awkward but not the most difficult thing you'll ever do. My understanding though is that it's a much more involved task on a 4WD K.

GT80

Reaction score
Thanks. I guess worst case I have to drop the pan later. I really just don't want to get into that now. If I go much further I might as well just drop a new crate in :p

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you have a 2wd, go ahead and drop the pan now instead of using Right Stuff. You can pull a stock pan all the way off without having to lift the motor. It's too easy to put off for later.

GT80

Reaction score
If you have a 2wd, go ahead and drop the pan now instead of using Right Stuff. You can pull a stock pan all the way off without having to lift the motor. It's too easy to put off for later.
4wd. I do have a lift though which will make it a bit less painful (literally) if I have to do it later.

Edit: Is it just the front differential that causes the clearance issue? That looks pretty easy to remove. If so maybe I will do it now after all.

Last edited:

Vikingdude

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
4wd. I do have a lift though which will make it a bit less painful (literally) if I have to do it later.

Edit: Is it just the front differential that causes the clearance issue? That looks pretty easy to remove. If so maybe I will do it now after all.
I snapped mine into pieces when I did my front timing cover. Replacing the pan gasket required pulling the diff, and I removed the drag link and toe rod ends. Left the pitman and idler arms in. I'm not sure if you could get the pan out without doing it.