Oil leak and....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joe Dirte

I'm an idiot!
Reaction score
98 k1500 with 350
Newer motor..
Like 1000 miles on rebuild.
1. Oil leak out of new timing cover after cam install. Can we drop pan without pullin motor n how much of a ******** is it?
2. My base timing as of now is I'm thinking around 19° advance at idle. Maxed out with rotation. Pull n restab or run with it?
Thanks y'all.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
98 k1500 with 350
Newer motor..
Like 1000 miles on rebuild.
1. Oil leak out of new timing cover after cam install. Can we drop pan without pullin motor n how much of a ******** is it?
2. My base timing as of now is I'm thinking around 19° advance at idle. Maxed out with rotation. Pull n restab or run with it?
Thanks y'all.

If 4wd, drop diff and then oil pan. If 2wd not sure.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
On a 2wd you still need to lift the motor a little bit to get the pan to clear, and be able to get it out. Had to do this when doing the timing job on my prior 99 Burb, will probably have to do this on this one too... whenever I do the timing job and water pump on it. Hopefully no time soon!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my '89 C1500 I didn't have to lift the motor to pull my stock oil pan, but I had to lift it a bit to put the replacement pan on.

homeslice

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
just did a cam swap in my '98 K2500. I changed the oil pan gasket while at it. Was able to remove the 3 bolts holding the front diff to frame, and let it just swing down. This gave plenty of clearance to remove pan and install new gasket. I did this with truck on the ground, just put the front end up on jackstands high enough to get tires off the ground.

Of course you have to remove oil cooler adapter, remove front driveshaft, disassemble/remove exhaust crossover at header collector, remove struts connecting TC cover to motor mounts, remove TC cover. Sounds like alot but really and truly it was not that bad of a job, and glad I did it. Absolutely no leaks whatsoever.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Ugh. Not doin that in a garage it's barely fits in while snowin. Time to call a shop to make sure it is the timing cover n not oil pan.

This is how my truck fit when I dropped the diff and did the oil pan gasket with cam and stuff.

You must be registered for see images attach

That was February 2015.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Holy F there @Supercharged111 thats friggen dedication! I did a bunch of stuff the first time I ever encounter a cross firing distributor cap during the last polar vortex we had with -30°. the truck was becoming buried in a snow drift and of course it wouldnt fire so I couldnt move it.

I basically built a garage with hay bales, plywood, tarps and threw in an electric space heater so I could take my gloves off for a couple minutes without getting frost bite! haha

another time in a barn thankfully I had raised my Burb about 3 feet off the ground so I could replace the transmission. again this was done in the winter but at least the truck could drive itself in the barn and I had tonnes of room, yeah too much of it and I froze my ass off.

that was at the old place, here I have a garage and a shop and neither can comfortably hold my trucks. well maybe if I did just like you did there and strategically pulled it in. I do also have a barn but to get a truck in I would have to cross grass which can mean mud if the grass is wet.....

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Holy F there @Supercharged111 thats friggen dedication! I did a bunch of stuff the first time I ever encounter a cross firing distributor cap during the last polar vortex we had with -30°. the truck was becoming buried in a snow drift and of course it wouldnt fire so I couldnt move it.

I basically built a garage with hay bales, plywood, tarps and threw in an electric space heater so I could take my gloves off for a couple minutes without getting frost bite! haha

another time in a barn thankfully I had raised my Burb about 3 feet off the ground so I could replace the transmission. again this was done in the winter but at least the truck could drive itself in the barn and I had tonnes of room, yeah too much of it and I froze my ass off.

that was at the old place, here I have a garage and a shop and neither can comfortably hold my trucks. well maybe if I did just like you did there and strategically pulled it in. I do also have a barn but to get a truck in I would have to cross grass which can mean mud if the grass is wet.....

I did a trans in our 87 G20 van in the snow. I left a hole for my then young self to slide through and plugged the rest shut. With the doghouse off it wasn't that bad.