Oil cooler plumbing and removal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gramps

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's another option for you.
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

Quote " Just because you can ...etc "
Good luck.

Not sure what that canister suggestion is about, but that second picture is exactly what I suggested to eliminate the oil cooler. Not all trucks came with the cooler, and still don’t. Matter of fact my 05 does not have one either. Tows just dandy and if it really was a problem I’m sure it would have shown up long before the 275,000mi that’s on it.
Don’t get me wrong I’m not disagreeing with the fact that there is a benefit to having the cooler, but in this case a light duty 2wd truck it won’t make a bit of difference one way or the other for the guy.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The canister is what you got prior to the spin on adapter. GM designed the spin on adapter backward compatible with older engines with canister. They were on shelf stocked item to convert older engines to spin.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I would suggest new Sunsong lines from Rockauto. They're not expensive, so even if they get replaced in the not too distant future by an ls swap it shouldn't be a big deal. Your radiator won't drip oil or get dirt in it that way either.

I eliminated my oil cooler, but on the 454 the ports can simply be plugged and not do any harm.

kenh

I see nothing I hear nothing
Reaction score
I have to apologize for not being complete in my original post. This engine is due to be pulled and kicked to the side in a few weeks. It is being replaced by a 2003 LS. I just need it to make it that long. One of the lines is leaking at the hose crimp. I'm not going to spend any money on the engine so it will just have to continue to leak until the end of life.

As far as cooling the oil, there were far more SBC engines without the cooler than were with. They all ran just fine. The LS does not have a cooler and it makes way more HP/heat than the SBC.

Thank you all for the comments. Even if they don't necessarily apply to me they may help somebody else.

Ken