oil cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
My 69 Electra has all steel lines for the transmission cooler. I suspect it's that way for two reasons. Transmission lines are longer than our oil cooler lines, so they can flex more. Two, cars didn't typically run 200+k miles like they do today.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
My 69 Electra has all steel lines for the transmission cooler. I suspect it's that way for two reasons. Transmission lines are longer than our oil cooler lines, so they can flex more. Two, cars didn't typically run 200+k miles like they do today.

3: everything was steel back then!

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine are all steel from trans to radiator.
GM engineers could have used better hose material, and a better filter adapter connection. There are easy methods to improve it. Who knows, cost, incomplete test parameters, we're using them way beyond expected service life, ( I'm shrugging shoulders) who knows why some people choose poorly....:3811797817_8d685371
What still baffles me is that nobody makes the correct fitting for the radiator side to convert to a -6 or -8 line and will not even consider producing them despite millions of GM vehicles using that fitting. GM is still using that stupid quick connect currently in some vehicles. My OEM oil cooler lines have 4 of those stupid fittings, although 2 are normal 1/2" NPT thread. The radiator side has to be a goofy M20x1.5 with the sealing oring on the end. The AC Delco fittings and hoses lasted me about 3 years before they started leaking again. On mine it has never been the crimps or the rubber hose. It is the stupid quick connects on the ends.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I agree mine were slowly leaking at the QD' s on filter adapter, was on the to-do list, but the hose gave way first. Yeah I'm not thrilled with the radiator side and flat with o ring seal, but it's better than another QD.
And when I replaced the hoses last year I had owned the truck for about 6 years, my mom and dad bought it new. After my dad died, my mom decided she didn't need two trucks. So she kept the Duramax and I bought the K2500 from her. And I keep it nice and fix everything. Up untill I got it, it had all service done at the dealership who did mostly trucks, Suburbans , Vans.
I have 91 GMC, they liked it when they borrowed it. Decided to get there own truck 95 K2500. So it's staying in the family.

caw_86

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think im going to take an A
The engine shakes. The radiator doesn't. Thus the need for a flexible section somewhere in the oil cooler plumbing. The problem is not "hose", it's "rubber" hose that cold-flows under the crimped connection.

Using Teflon (PTFE)-liner hose instead of rubber-based hose eliminates the cold-flow problem. Metal sections similar to OEM, but not the rubber part.

My cooler hoses may/may not be leaking. IF they leak, it's not enough for me to care about. When they leak enough that I do care, they'll get replaced with Genuine GM hoses having steel tubing instead of the Dorman aluminum-tube replacement hoses. I'm not averse to building hoses, I just don't plan to invest the effort into making tubing/hoses for this application.
i wonder how much it would cost to take a set of AC delco lines to my local swagelok rep and have them build one with their products, they make flexible tubing as well as the fittings. just the flex tubing part alone is $460

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have used some Swageloc fittings. Absolutely first-rate quality, and top-shelf prices to match. In my case, the application was CNG fuel tanks on city buses. We were told 2000 psi, but I never verified that.

Plain ol' ordinary "JIC" industrial-grade 37 degree fittings would be more than adequate for this job. Swageloc or real aerospace-grade fittings are beyond overkill.

Erin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you can do the swagelocks, why not have sections of flexible line? FYI I put AC Delco lines in my dually in 2017 and they're still dry. How long are you gonna have this thing?
Wish I would’ve put AC Delco when mine were changed about 5-6 years ago. They’re Dorman & one is leaking from the crimped part I believe.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Wish I would’ve put AC Delco when mine were changed about 5-6 years ago. They’re Dorman & one is leaking from the crimped part I believe.

I did Dorman on my 1500 waaaaayyy back in 2009 when I bought the truck. Still doesn't leak enough to bother me into changing them. They don't drip, at least not on the ground. I'm sure they suck more now though.