Oil Cooler Line delete

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got quoted by a local shop $140 and 3ish hours to remove the lines, and put in a new 454 oil filter. Can get it done tomorrow. Thoughts?
A different guy said around $100 but he isn't available till next week sometime.

Chewy1576

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just ordered the non-cooler oil filter adapter for my 383 from Summit Racing to do this same thing for $30 shipped. I put in brand new cooler lines and quick disconnects when the motor was installed last August and they are already blown out. I considered using barb fittings and hydraulic hoses to make my own, but I would rather not mess with it again. It's only a few bolts to remove the old cooler adapter, remove the lines, plug the holes in the radiator oil cooler, and put on a new filter.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have never done before, so if I go the route of removing the old cooler adapter, removing the lines and plugging the holes in the rad, what all do I need? Is there any thread showing a process do you know? Id like to save money and try doing it myself.
Also, what type of filter would I need to look for?
My truck is a 1996 Chevy C1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hmm seems like a lot of work and he listed the parts as almost as much as it would cost to take it to the shop..hmm

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hmm seems like a lot of work and he listed the parts as almost as much as it would cost to take it to the shop..hmm
How the filter adapter is like $30 and the filter is like $6. It's not expensive to do at all...

House003

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just looking through this thread.. What is the advantage of doing an oil cooler line delete? Just the fact that you want have a leak?

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
The oe and aftermarket lines are prone to leaking. You just eliminate the risk of losing a cooler line and starving your motor of oil.

Sent from my SM-N910P