Oil cooler delete done!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

elementaltoad

Reaction score
I was a bit paranoid deleting the oil cooler, but the lines were seeping and they appeared to have been replaced recently. It also seemed low on oil pressure at hot idle.

I used a melling oil filter adapter for a typical 350, and a Bosch 3322 oil filter. The bolt size is 5/16"-18x1-1/4", grade 8 and i got them off the bolt rack at O'reilly. It fit with plenty of room to clear the front shaft and is much bigger in diameter than the old filter. The parts I looked up were for a 1989 Firebird, because I have one and the parts looked like they'd work.

Cold idle went from 30psi to 50psi, hot idle went from just above the red Mark at 10-15psi to 30psi. I don't tow or haul a lot and none of the vehicles I have towed with had the oil cooler, and never had issues, so I am much happier with this set up. I just wanted to report the oil pressure changes. They are MUCH improved with the delete. It is certainly worth it if you have trouble keeping the lines leak free or are seeing low oil pressure at idle.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
To me it's more of an oil warmer than cooler. It keeps the temps more stable. Sounds like, if you had cleaned the housing, you'd have been good to go. Your after pressures are what my 1500 runs normally.

elementaltoad

Reaction score
You are probably right and I suspected that as well, the gasket just fell right out and it looked like it was leaking internally, but I couldn't afford parts to rebuild it and get new lines anyway. One less issue to deal with either way, in Texas we definitely don't need an oil warmer! Haha

Tzfbird

Reaction score
Even though you took care of it already, I had leaky lines on my '95 S-10. I'll assume the lines are pretty close to the same on the full size trucks. I cut the aluminum crimp off the lines and picked up some hydraulic hose from a local business that does fluid power and large hydraulic hoses. Then use the 2 ear hose clamps on the original hose ends. I had leak free lines for 3 years following the repair until I sold it.
Just an option for anyone who wants to save money and end up with a hose that has lower odds of leaking as a replacement. I heard that most aftermarket replacement hoses ended up leaking again after the heating/cooling cycles loosened the aluminum crimps on the hose ends.

Kingjames

Reaction score
I always run without the cooler and never had any issues I tow and off road one less problem
I was a bit paranoid deleting the oil cooler, but the lines were seeping and they appeared to have been replaced recently. It also seemed low on oil pressure at hot idle.

I used a melling oil filter adapter for a typical 350, and a Bosch 3322 oil filter. The bolt size is 5/16"-18x1-1/4", grade 8 and i got them off the bolt rack at O'reilly. It fit with plenty of room to clear the front shaft and is much bigger in diameter than the old filter. The parts I looked up were for a 1989 Firebird, because I have one and the parts looked like they'd work.

Cold idle went from 30psi to 50psi, hot idle went from just above the red Mark at 10-15psi to 30psi. I don't tow or haul a lot and none of the vehicles I have towed with had the oil cooler, and never had issues, so I am much happier with this set up. I just wanted to report the oil pressure changes. They are MUCH improved with the delete. It is certainly worth it if you have trouble keeping the lines leak free or are seeing low oil pressure at idle.

elementaltoad

Reaction score
I always run without the cooler and never had any issues I tow and off road one less problem

That was my thinking, these trucks are stupid simple, and I like them because of that. Eliminating the cooler that seems to drop pressure and leak from the lines frequently means I have one less thing to worry about failing. I run Rotella T6 and good filters, usually with Archoil AR9100, a minimal increase in oil temps likely won't have much if any effect on oil or engine longevity considering the advances over what they were spec'd for when they were new.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's because 99% of the time the oil isn't actually being cooled. It tracks with coolant temp. Again, it warms the oil more quickly. The only time it would actually do any cooling us sustained high RPM operation.