oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget dropping the drain plug into what seems like 1000 degree oil.

I know convention is to let the oil at least warm up before changing it, but I stopped doing that decades ago. I let it sit overnight and then just a quick run to drive up the ramps.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I punched holes in filters to get them off when I was a teenager. My first day at the auto dealership they said, "buy some filter pliers". They just work, and Harbor Freight has them dirt cheap.

I may buy a pair of those, but my strap wrench works well, too. On this particular car, my issue is clearnace when installing the filter... no room for my steel band style filter wrench. I install mostly by hand, but always tighten filters just a bit more with a wrench. This will probably be important on this car since the filter is very close to the pan, similar to an LS engine. Yesterday, I used a smaller diameter filter, which gave me a bit more clearance.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know convention is to let the oil at least warm up before changing it, but I stopped doing that decades ago. I let it sit overnight and then just a quick run to drive up the ramp
I would do that if I changed oil at my house. But I have access to a shop with several different options for hoists. So by the time I get over there get the doors opened up and on the hoist my oil is blazing hot. I'd rather be able to stand and change oil then crawl around on my back that gives me fits when I lay on concrete.

VIKING_MECHANIC

GMT 400 obsessed Swede.
Reaction score
Weird, I've never really had any issues that some of you have when changing oil. (Okay I admit, I've dropped the drain plug into the oil pan a few times).

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know convention is to let the oil at least warm up before changing it, but I stopped doing that decades ago. I let it sit overnight and then just a quick run to drive up the ramps.

Your never going to burn yourself on the catalytic converter or Y-pipe doing it that way. That's how i know i've got it good and hot. ;)

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I can't do the dishes without getting water on me either :893karatesmiley-thu
I feel if you do dishes with out getting water on you then your doing something wrong. The front of my shirt looks like I just pulled it out of the washing machine when I'm done.