oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMCTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rules for changing the oil;

1) only change the oil on windy days
2) ensure driveway is covered with scrap cardboard that is a 1/2" too small
3) place shop towels so that they are just out of reach
4) don't forget to thoroughly oil the skid plate, U-joint, your forearm and eyeglasses
5) slide the cardboard with oil catch basin out from under vehicle just quickly enough that it causes a small oil tidal wave that spills over the edge of basin
6) chase wind swept oil soaked shop towels down the street so as to not end up in neighbours yards.
7) repeat in 6 months.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

4) don't forget to thoroughly oil the skid plate, U-joint, your forearm and eyeglasses
5) slide the cardboard with oil catch basin out from under vehicle just quickly enough that it causes a small oil tidal wave that spills over the edge of basin
6) chase wind swept oil soaked shop towels down the street so as to not end up in neighbours yards.
7) repeat in 6 months.
6a) .. you forgot, do it when the oil is really hot, that way, you drop the filter and it rolls all over increasing coverage.....

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I like to use the big clear tote that side under the bed to drain oil in.

I use those for cat litter boxes, and also for cleaning cast iron pans..... not the same boxes, Though :biggrin:

For oil, I have a couple of the galvanized steel pans, and a couple of the black plastic pans that drain to the center and have a screw in plug. I've also got a couple of the cheapy open plastic pans..... maybe from the dollar store? I use those for smaller jobs. Maybe to catch the oil coming from the filter, or for small engines.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I use those for cat litter boxes, and also for cleaning cast iron pans..... not the same boxes, Though :biggrin:

For oil, I have a couple of the galvanized steel pans, and a couple of the black plastic pans that drain to the center and have a screw in plug. I've also got a couple of the cheapy open plastic pans..... maybe from the dollar store? I use those for smaller jobs. Maybe to catch the oil coming from the filter, or for small engines.
Improvise with... a 5 litre (ish) carton. Cut a big hole in the side, make sure the cap is on snug, lay on its side and you're good to drain. When done, tilt back, remove cap and pour via cap/neck into whatever receptacle the oil's going into for disposal.

Dariusz Salomon

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So today was oil change day on the Volvo....I've been meaning to do it for weeks. I think I had over 12K miles on that oil and filter.

Any ways.... I thought I'd share a few things I did. I'm sure I'm not the first to do this, and they're not ground breaking, but might feel like it if you're not doing them. It seems I ALWAYS end up spilling some oil and getting the pan in it, so the oil makes most of a circle (of oil) on the floor/driveway. Today was no exception, when the filter came off, it dribbled oil in between the two pans I had. However, since I don't like crawling around on rough cement, I had a large piece of vinyl flooring rolled out. This piece is large enough such that not only is there room for me to lay on, but the pans are on it too. I'm not sure if I've ever purposely put it under the pans before, or not.

The mess is still a pain to clean since oil spreads, but none of it is on the driveway. The pans got set aside to drain, and I'll deal with those later. The driveway is no dirtier than it was before. The vinyl cleans up with foaming bathroom cleaner from the dollar store.... may actually be Scrubbing Bubbles from Dollar General. I got the idea of using it to clean the vinyl from people using it to clean engines on Youtube. I've been using it to clean grease and oil off my scrap vinyl, and I don't think I've actually tried cleaning an engine compartment with it, yet.

So.... a large piece of old vinyl flooring, a bungee cord to keep it rolled up when not in use, and foaming bathroom cleaner are great accessories to an oil change.

Oh, and a couple of rocks out of the landscaping because the vinyl wants to roll back up on me :cool:
I,ve got this relationship with sugar-no way I can put 2 spoons without pouring some out lol.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I punched holes in filters to get them off when I was a teenager. My first day at the auto dealership they said, "buy some filter pliers". They just work, and Harbor Freight has them dirt cheap.

smdk2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

7) repeat in 6 months.
Don't forget dropping the drain plug into what seems like 1000 degree oil.