oil changes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I may buy a pair of those, but my strap wrench works well, too. On this particular car, my issue is clearnace when installing the filter... no room for my steel band style filter wrench. I install mostly by hand, but always tighten filters just a bit more with a wrench. This will probably be important on this car since the filter is very close to the pan, similar to an LS engine. Yesterday, I used a smaller diameter filter, which gave me a bit more clearance.
You must be registered for see images attach

Idk how big the volvo filter is but if its reachable just get a sharp screwdriver and a hammer

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Any hose clip or clamp can be attached to a recalcitrant canister then hammered (assuming space to swing a hammer). The clip or clamp will likely be ruined but at least the filter is removed and cleaner than puncturing.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
The filter on my '96 Dodge Intrepid 3.5 OHC V6 , came off the driver's side of the block, mounted at an angle. With the car being front wheel drive and everything being tightly arranged, there was JUST ENOUGH room to get a straight shot at it with a cup type filter wrench and a long extension. Then once it was loose, take it carefully out so as not to spill all the hot nasty oil out all over everything.... And of course all the fun of lining up the car and the ramps you have to drive it up on, to get to anything underneath it.....
One of the few things I don't miss about that car.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Today I wrapped a rag around the u-joint, spun filter off, let oil stop dripping then installed new filter. Obviously, with cardboard underneath. Very minimal cleanup. New oil, filter, Element3 brake pads and EBC rotors = a very happy truck. :biggrin: