offroad build

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thegawd

I'm Done!
Reaction score
Beauty! My thoughts on the rubber trim.... keep it. Its what saves your body from other people's doors.

I think it looks good removed but I would never do it. I have however taken it off of my sierra so i could do body work, i cleaned up the trim and reapplied it with LePage contact spray glue, the same used for laminating kitchen counter tops in what not.... it has very good and strong adhesive properties. Simple to use. Removing trim and emblems is very easy with a couple of sticks and some braided fishing line. I used lacquer thinner to remove the rest of the glue but you really gotta be careful because its also removing the paint. But if body work is in order it dosent matter. I'm a cabinet maker so I have those 2 products always. Isopropyl alcohol or acetone (nail polish remover) should also work.

Al

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah we used the fishing line trick to take the emblems off of the old tailgate so we could put them on the new after final bodywork. I don’t know if I’ll keep that same exact trim, but I also don’t know where to buy replacement trim. Everything I’ve bought for the truck has been from LMC so I would think they’d have it.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That dented fender is going to be fixed along with the small rust in the cab corner when it gets painted black in the spring/summer. Mirrors are part of the plan and I did not know about the center caps. I also need opinions for when I paint it. Should I go with a full trim delete along the sides? I do know that I will not get new z71 stickers but I will put a newer style z71 badge in the corner of the grill and maybe on the tailgate with the other emblems.

My input... I agree. Keep trim. However gm sold different types for the gmt400. You got black, black and red, and black and chrome. See what looks best for your truck. Also as far as wheels it depends. If steelies I think gmc chrome center cap, with beauty ring with new oem aluminum wheel arch trim. If your going with flares then I think newer oem wheels or some nice aftermarket wheels lol

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I get a little older and have some more money in my pocket my dream setup is a 6 inch Rough Country with some 22” LTZ replicas on 35” Nitto mud grapplers. Since I’m only a junior in high school I’m just gonna ride on my stocks which look great in my opinion.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I get a little older and have some more money in my pocket my dream setup is a 6 inch Rough Country with some 22” LTZ replicas on 35” Nitto mud grapplers. Since I’m only a junior in high school I’m just gonna ride on my stocks which look great in my opinion.

Nothing wrong with that. Actually take your time and keep it stock as long as possible before your ready to make drastic changes. When I was in high school my dad gave me my suburban and I couldn't wait to throw money into it.... looking back I should of saved my money and get what I know it needed. Lol. I would strongly advise looking at what look you want when your ready and see what works. I went through so many grills and lights and reflectors lol money money money down the drain.. however there are some good mods like 4 way headlights, big 3, good tires, and LEDs

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh no doubt. Where I'm from everybody lifts just the front half with humongous wheels, dark tint, and an exhaust that sounds like you're going 65 mph when you're only going about 15. I have never been into that. I just want a truck that looks good in the school parking lot and driving around town that doesn't have any major mechanical issues. I don't necessarily crave attention like the squatters but I would like to turn some heads that say "dang. that's a good looking rig" and one that I can pull a boat with and throw deer/turkeys/ducks in the back.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh no doubt. Where I'm from everybody lifts just the front half with humongous wheels, dark tint, and an exhaust that sounds like you're going 65 mph when you're only going about 15. I have never been into that. I just want a truck that looks good in the school parking lot and driving around town that doesn't have any major mechanical issues. I don't necessarily crave attention like the squatters but I would like to turn some heads that say "dang. that's a good looking rig" and one that I can pull a boat with and throw deer/turkeys/ducks in the back.

I hear you where I was at, everybody drove new vehicles or trucks that there parents owned lol. You driving a gmt400 will already turn heads. I think the original colors on these trucks looked good. When you ready get a good clear coat. I've seen newer chevys and there paint is crap. I've had some people argue with me lol. But these trucks look shiny when they were new and up kept. Modern paint jobs from the dealer dont have that glare lol

93sierrak1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I understand what you mean. I just want a black paint job because to be honest the green has seen its better days and I think black would look better. In about 20 or 30 years, when the truck is considered vintage, I will completely restore the truck so I can enter it in shows but still take it in the woods and such.

SUBURBAN5

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah I understand what you mean. I just want a black paint job because to be honest the green has seen its better days and I think black would look better. In about 20 or 30 years, when the truck is considered vintage, I will completely restore the truck so I can enter it in shows but still take it in the woods and such.

Would you consider 2 tone? Onxy black and charcoal or storm grey bottom below the moldings? lol. Or straight black all over?