Off grid living build ideas post here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
That's how this place used to be before everyone left. The chat thread was a dangerous place for 16 year old me lol!
Those were some good times though. 300 posts or better in a single evening.

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

Sampuppy1

Diesel nut
Reaction score
Oh man it's like you've been living in my head these past few months.

You could always get a basic 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer and build a full travel trailer out of it. Solar panel for power and rainwater collection system for water. Cook outdoors or just get a single electric burner. I had a great set of plans going, until I got to the grey water and black water tanks in which I got stumped on mounting mostly. I've seen some great builds completed though.
For the tanks you could easily do something similar to a portable ******* setup. A tank with a seat. The smell might be an issue though. Or just dig a hole. A utility trailer really doesn't have many options especially when you get into the single axle sizes.

The only thing I can think of (and you would lose head room) is to build a second floor that used 2x6s for joists. Low pro 20 gallon ish tanks would fit nicely (you could even order custom tanks to fit your spacing desires) and lay another floor over them with the outlets either out the side of the trailer or through the original floor. You'd lose about 6" of headroom but you could do a small footprint tank for the bathroom and an elongated one for a grey under the kitchen sink/counter. Just my .02¢

Sent from my flagged XT1635-01

Tyler/T-Unit

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I picked up this Suburban 2 years ago, my intended purpose was to Overland with it. That has been my continued goal with every modification I have done. Initially the plan was to camp out of the back. I have the safari rack for all the extra gear with water storage system that will sit up there to provide hot, or at least warmed by the sun, water for washing and showering. I have a 70 gal fresh water tank that slides in the back. I have since decided climbing in and out of the back for sleeping is just going to get harder as I get older. Now the plan is to buy a Rockwood Extreme Sport pop-up camper. They come with off-road capable tires and more ground clearance than typical. Something I can easily overland with and still have some of the creature comforts to keep the wife happy. I have a 5500 watt generator that will go in the plans somewhere. I want to figure out how to quiet it down some. I love how quiet the new ones run, but I already have 3 noisy ones, I don't need to buy a fourth. I'll also have a bank of batteries and run some solar.

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of (and you would lose head room) is to build a second floor that used 2x6s for joists. Low pro 20 gallon ish tanks would fit nicely (you could even order custom tanks to fit your spacing desires) and lay another floor over them with the outlets either out the side of the trailer or through the original floor.

A tank in the floor. In the FLOOR!

You're a genius dude. I gotta hit the blueprints again, this might actually work now.