Off grid living build ideas post here

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

runnin350

Reaction score
Hi guys. First time posting here. I love the woods huntin livin campin off grid in freezing snow. Lookin for ideas from the dooms day preppers and experienced outdoorsman . What I’m workin with is a 1995 Chevy Cheyenne ext cab short bed with a 350 and a 4L60E. Tires are 31-10.50-15 bfg rugged terrain tire on a 7-1/2” wide wheel. Full emissions delete with a 3” cat back mandrel bent exhaust with a thrush 2 chamber welded muffler exiting out side the rear quarter panel 45 degrees behind the rear passenger tire. Sounds great. Not to loud but has a good tone. Under the hood is nothin fancy pretty clean. Adapted a big block air cleaner housing for the bigger air snorkel. Runnin a paper filter. Amongst other things. Now I’m interested in seeing how some of you have adapted the rear of your rigs to accommodate your outdoor lifestyle. I’m thinking of insulating the truck bed floor and sides along with a camper shell insulated and building a raised wooden floor with storage under it. For clothes food supplies etc. then the bed sides could hold items as well. I’m thinkin a mattress could fit in there comfortably and still have some storage room while being able to make room for coffee book reading - down time. I have a good size tool box I love as well and I plan on building storage inside it to house oil tools then more supplies. I plan on staying out in the woods for lengths of time. Please feel free to shed opinions pictures comments criticism on my idea ‘ as that is why I’m posting here. As my idea is still in clay form.

bsn1989

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Neat idea runnin.

I would go for a tall topper on the bed for the most headroom. Hell, even might be worth investing in a used bed camper like the image below. They can be found pretty cheap used.

You must be registered for see images attach

For additional things like electricity, get a cheap solar panel setup from Harbor Freight.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Cool idea. I enjoy the outdoors and the fact that you're getting into the overlanding thing with a 2wd (like mine) makes it even more fascinating. Expedition portal has some neat builds and ideas. If you find there to be more helpful, please come back and post your adventures. I love pictures lol!

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Expedition portal has some neat builds and ideas
There is some great info over there, but I found that the overall mentality of the people on that site is very lacking. Bunch of jack-wagons actually. You'll find more helpful and friendly people here with just as much info as anywhere else.

Biggershaft96

Cant Getrite
Reaction score
well whatever you decide to to just make sure you have spare fuel storage somewhere and a highlift jack. overland bound has some decent stuff but idk about the people. ive never signed up there

NightRunner

Resident Junkman
Reaction score
Oh man it's like you've been living in my head these past few months.

You could always get a basic 6x12 enclosed cargo trailer and build a full travel trailer out of it. Solar panel for power and rainwater collection system for water. Cook outdoors or just get a single electric burner. I had a great set of plans going, until I got to the grey water and black water tanks in which I got stumped on mounting mostly. I've seen some great builds completed though.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
There is some great info over there, but I found that the overall mentality of the people on that site is very lacking. Bunch of jack-wagons actually. You'll find more helpful and friendly people here with just as much info as anywhere else.
I was more so pointing out the fact that it took 4 months to get a single response here lol. Not disagreeing with you, but when I'm in the mood for overland builds, I go elsewhere just because the info is plentiful over there

JackE

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You are right there, but one does have to have pretty thick skin to put up with the self-righteous attitude of most of the players in that playground.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
That's how this place used to be before everyone left. The chat thread was a dangerous place for 16 year old me lol!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's how this place used to be before everyone left. The chat thread was a dangerous place for 16 year old me lol!

Now there's a viscous group Snapchat with some OG members in it too. @gstubbz, @Sampuppy1

----------------------------------------

I'd love to find a decent camper shell for my truck and turn it into a little camping rig I could go exploring in; but I think I'd almost be better off buying a slide in pop up, something similar to the one posted above.

I'd love to have a set up like an open deck trailer to haul a Jeep on it, or an enclosed trailer with some 4-wheelers or dirt bikes in it and go camping and riding at some ORV parks.