OEM wheels from newer years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
We're just funnin' so I wouldn't worry about it. GM started calling this stuff by its metric measurements probably sometime in the mid-late 80's when they started moving to a lot of metric fasteners on the vehicles. A "squarebody" (1973-1987) half ton 2wd truck had 5x5" with 1/2" studs, the GMT400's introduced 14mm studs to the same pattern so you might as well start calling that 5x127mm at that point and the metric horse is outta the barn.

Richard

Reaction score
I was always baffled by the odd mix of metric and standard sized bolts on our trucks. most don't matter, but there are those few sizes that only work with a metric or standard wrench/socket

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was always baffled by the odd mix of metric and standard sized bolts on our trucks. most don't matter, but there are those few sizes that only work with a metric or standard wrench/socket
Agreed, I don't care which one they go with but they need to pick a side, I'm tired of having to pull out both sets everytime I need to do anything.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
In the early 80's there was gov. pressure to switch the country to metric, but it wasn't seen through to the end. That's why we have the mix... the SAE stuff on our trucks is usually stuff that was designed long ago, such as the engine blocks... anything that screws into the block is usually SAE. The 8.1L was the first metric Big Block.

inscarguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like these wheels but wanted to know if anybody knows if they'll fit. They should because they're larger and have the same lug pattern but wanted to know if anybody has actually seen it on the GMT400 platform.
You must be registered for see images attach

To answer your question they will fit with no issues. I had them on my 1998 pickup. No rubbing, no clearance problems, no issues. I just took them off recently to put a different set on. Had them on 285 45 22 tires.

Sent from my SM-T813 using Tapatalk

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes they will fit and clear the calipers. The offset may be wrong and the newer trucks use a wider wheel than the stock width rim. This means you may get rubbing in the front when bottomed out on the upper fender lip. Of course this depends on tire size as well.

My 2018 wheels fit on my 97 before I sold the wheels. I put 2011 17" wheels on my 97 and 2018.

Fun Fact - The newer trucks 2007.5 and up can only accept 17" or larger wheels due to front caliper clearance.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fun Fact - The newer trucks 2007.5 and up can only accept 17" or larger wheels due to front caliper clearance.
The kinds of things that were never issues on older trucks. :D I've been thinking about the front Brembo 6 piston caliper/16.1" rotor upgrade for my 2006 Silvy SS...and I'm actually worried about my 22" Centerlines having a problem with them, due to the way the valve stem is in the middle of the hoop behind the face of the wheel, instead of on the outer edge of the hoop like smaller wheels. It sticks out right where the caliper lives...guess if it's too close I can try some short angled bolt-in stems.

When I did the 6 piston/15.4" Hellcat brakes on my 300 SRT8, even the 20x9.5" wheels that come on the Hellcat ride really close to the caliper.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing this up everybody, in my head I knew there shouldn't be a problem, but I was hired to name sure before I went and spent $1500+ on new wheels and tires.
Yes they will fit and clear the calipers. The offset may be wrong and the newer trucks use a wider wheel than the stock width rim. This means you may get rubbing in the front when bottomed out on the upper fender lip. Of course this depends on tire size as well.

My 2018 wheels fit on my 97 before I sold the wheels. I put 2011 17" wheels on my 97 and 2018.

I know the offset and width are different, I was going to buy a lift and thtow 35" tires on it at the same time, then some fender flares after I was able to gauge how far out to go with the flares. I know it'll fit 33" before lift, 35" should be fine considering the kit I'm looking at is a 2-3" lift.

Bodageta1995

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
We're just funnin' so I wouldn't worry about it. GM started calling this stuff by its metric measurements probably sometime in the mid-late 80's when they started moving to a lot of metric fasteners on the vehicles. A "squarebody" (1973-1987) half ton 2wd truck had 5x5" with 1/2" studs, the GMT400's introduced 14mm studs to the same pattern so you might as well start calling that 5x127mm at that point and the metric horse is outta the barn.

Richard

I used to test cars in the GM/Delphi Climatic Wind Tunnel in Lockport NY. The GM technicians there told me (back in the late 90s) that GM would change thier internal processes every few years when new managment took control etc. It would be SAE Std for a couple years, then they were told Metric for a couple years then back to standard etc. It was a laughable point of frustration for those guys. They were great guys by the way.