OEM wheels from newer years

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I really like these wheels but wanted to know if anybody knows if they'll fit. They should because they're larger and have the same lug pattern but wanted to know if anybody has actually seen it on the GMT400 platform.
You must be registered for see images attach

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I think 2010 and down will fit our Gmt400's. They switched to a metric bolt pattern somewhere around then (180mm instead of 6.5" for a gm 8lug wheel)

Edit:looked around online, apparently the metric lug pattern is only on the large 8 lug wheels 2011 to present.

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Math is tough for some. It's not my strong suit. But 5.5" has been equal to 139.7mm for a very long time, and the large 6 lug GM pattern has been 5.5" for almost nearly as long. ;)

Richard

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
There's other things to consider here, namely will these clear the calipers on my 97 k1500. As mentioned, I know the bolt pattern matches, I'm curious if anybody knows if any other clearance issues.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
There's other things to consider here, namely will these clear the calipers on my 97 k1500. As mentioned, I know the bolt pattern matches, I'm curious if anybody knows if any other clearance issues.

My comment was strictly about the absurdity of comparing metric measurements to standard.

As noted though those newer wheels will clear any brakes a GMT400 came equipped with..

Richard

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, my dad tried to throw a newer set on his GMT800 Tahoe, calipers didn't clear. Of course he wasn't putting on 20" wheels, he went 16" to 16"

Reaction score
"My comment was strictly about the absurdity of comparing metric measurements to standard"...

well, math isn't my strong suit either, but I'm sure 5.5" has been equal to 139.7mm forever(not just a long time) because they are the exact same distance
As for the large 8 lug wheels, in 2011 they switched the bolt pattern distance from 6.5" to 180mm(which is not the same).which is what I was getting at...I suppose if I had looked at the lug pattern in the picture and noticed it was a 6 bolt,I wouldn't have bothered to include the 180mm comment.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
well, math isn't my strong suit either, but I'm sure 5.5" has been equal to 139.7mm forever(not just a long time) because they are the exact same distance

Nope, Richard is correct... only a long time, not forever. There is a time prior to each of the units being specified according to standards :)

The nice thing about the conversion between inches and mm is that it's an exact ratio.

Reaction score
Valid point sir. I worded my argument incorrectly it seems. The distance between the two points is the same no matter what unit of measurement you use, be it inches, or mm, or cubits. So that physical distance that we currently call 5.5" or 139.7mm has been, forever, the same distance apart or length no matter what the measurement is called. If someone decided tomorrow that 5.5 inches is actually called 1 marklar, a 1 marklar rim would still fit a gmt400 6lug truck, since the space between the lugs has not changed at all, just what you are calling it has.
My initial point was
139.7mm=5.5"(6lug bolt pattern)
165.1mm=6.5"(old 8lug)
180mm=7.08" (new 8lug)
Why GM decided to start measuring in mm and didn't call the new bolt pattern 7" is beyond me.
Alas, I seem to have diverged into philosophical discussions on the merits of standardized measurement systems...I'm here to do two things, drink some beer and talk Gmt400's.and it looks like I'm out of beer