OEM seat cover supplier question (for sewlow and others)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Anybody here dealt with The Seat Shop for OEM style seat covering, in other words, the original pattern style upholstery for complete replacement - not a cover that simply slips over your existing upholstery.. ? I think I originally came across them with a FB ad but I'm not sure. They look pretty legit and have lots of videos covering their installation tips and tricks.

Wondering about overall quality, matching appearance to original leather since I'd likely mix new and old as many people do; top part of the seat is 100% fine, bottom part is cracked and split as usual.. and also the reality of is it truly a DIY'er type job or will it look like trash once I get through?

The bottom cushion just split open on my SS and I loathe the idea of my truck starting to go downhill, would rather tend to the various wear items before they start collecting on me and making my truck look like a POS.

Thanks,
Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
06 Silverado SS? Leather, right? My buddy got some catskins for his '01 Silverado RCSB. He had the basic, work truck cloth setup. I think they were spendy! Maybe about 6-7 years ago. Last I saw them they were starting to look kinda worn, but no better or worse than the OEM ones.

My 99 is the same, with torn drivers seat. I honestly would swap the cloth version (even manual version,) but I can't find them in tan that my truck has. My seats are electric and have developed that annoying slop, so there's that too...

Th PO of my 06 suburban got the front seats re-done and they look great. I don't know if they are vinyl or leather. I'm going to see a couple of local upholstery guys and probably will get them reupholstered on the 99...maybe one at a time due to cost. LOL.

Edit: I just realized the SS have unique seats. NVM.

Last edited:

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The SS seats are "unique" only in the headrest with the embroidered SS logo, or in my truck's case, the DEI (Dale Earnhardt, Inc.) logo since it's the Intimidator SS edition.. the seat itself is the same as a leather bucket in that generation of truck.

Here you can see the typical cracking, it's not bad, but this is 6 years ago.. it's split at the seam now and I want to address it before it gets ugly.
You must be registered for see images attach

DEI logo instead of the usual SS embroidery on the headrest -
You must be registered for see images attach

Not looking to cover what's already there, looking to replace the torn OEM leather with a same-type piece and that's what Seat Shop offers, at least for the seat bottom/back itself. Their armrest cover is indeed just a cover; it slips over the existing one, but that's an exception.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got a quote for mine from some local FB Marketplace $1,100 to both front bucket seats in vinyl. Nothing fancy, just OEM look.

I had a guy did some upholstery for me a few years back for another vehicle. I'll have see if I can have him take a look at mine...

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the drivers side bottom on my 2006 suburban , tan leather. It looks just like yours iirc. It turned out great , wish I had gone ahead and bought new foam and seat heater while I was at it. When you remove the seat DO NOT grab or lift the plastic tubes at the front under the seat . They look like great handles but chit will fly everywhere when they come apart.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the drivers side bottom on my 2006 suburban , tan leather. It looks just like yours iirc. It turned out great , wish I had gone ahead and bought new foam and seat heater while I was at it. When you remove the seat DO NOT grab or lift the plastic tubes at the front under the seat . They look like great handles but chit will fly everywhere when they come apart.
Yeah, it seems like doing the foam and heater element are wise at this point. My foam seems in great shape but I've seen others mention that they felt like theirs was too but replaced the foam and were glad they did.. I dunno. Doing it once seems the best route.

You're satisfied with the quality from this seller? They're actually local to me which is a big plus. Their price for the cover seem about half of the Seat Shop's so that is attractive, as long as quality is good.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just got a quote for mine from some local FB Marketplace $1,100 to both front bucket seats in vinyl. Nothing fancy, just OEM look.

I had a guy did some upholstery for me a few years back for another vehicle. I'll have see if I can have him take a look at mine...
I feel like you'd be happier if you had them done in leather vs. vinyl. A lot more comfortable and looks better in the long term if you take care of it. Which seats are you talking about, though, year/model/style? Options will vary depending on that.

Richard

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I feel like you'd be happier if you had them done in leather vs. vinyl. A lot more comfortable and looks better in the long term if you take care of it. Which seats are you talking about, though, year/model/style? Options will vary depending on that.

Richard
I don't want to ask how much they are going to cost in leather now! LOL. The guy did mention issues with availably and increase cost in materials...I'm not surprised.

Mine is a 99 NBS ECSB. I have the console like you (no jumpseat), so just the front buckets. I feel like I took good care of them. I was thinking vinyl would be easier to maintain. (again, I'd take the cloth if I could find them in that neutral tan version. I've driven some trucks with those and I feel like they are more comfortable and those do hold up better.)

That US Auto Seat Cover options looks enticing for me now!

reservoir dog

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah, it seems like doing the foam and heater element are wise at this point. My foam seems in great shape but I've seen others mention that they felt like theirs was too but replaced the foam and were glad they did.. I dunno. Doing it once seems the best route.

You're satisfied with the quality from this seller? They're actually local to me which is a big plus. Their price for the cover seem about half of the Seat Shop's so that is attractive, as long as quality is good.

Richard
Yes , I am happy with the product, fit well , matched OEM and seams to be a quality leather. I will eventually do more in the Johnny Cash fashion ," One piece at a time ".