OEM remote start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Restoguy

Reaction score
I have a question for you guys that have more experience with the BCM and interior electronics. I have a CC K3500 with remote entry. I want to use the bcm from a suburban/tahoe so i can use the rear door function as a remote start. Is this possible? What about using a newer bcm to get better range and more functionality? GM stuff is often backwards compatible but not always. What do the experts think?

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
GMT400 trucks do not have a BCM. The luxury models (escalade/denali) had a very primitive one to control some interior features but they are nothing like the GMT800 BCMs. The newer stuff has a slightlyt better range but after 2003 would be so tied into the truck's electronics it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

You'd likely be better off with an aftermarket system for ease of install, range and options.

NacIK

aka Dirty Hoe
Reaction score
I have plans for a similar setup that uses the factory keyfob fir any vehicle. It uses an Arduino so you can program it however you want. I had it set up so that it starts with a tripple tap of the lock button.

I changed it though because the keyfob had no range or feedback so now I use a GSM module and send a text to it. I also have the HVAC tied into it. So now when I land at the airport I can text it and it will be warm or cold. Plus I get feedback like intrusions, inside temp, and failed starts.

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
GMT400 trucks do not have a BCM. The luxury models (escalade/denali) had a very primitive one to control some interior features but they are nothing like the GMT800 BCMs. The newer stuff has a slightlyt better range but after 2003 would be so tied into the truck's electronics it would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

You'd likely be better off with an aftermarket system for ease of install, range and options.

In my case I may use the hatch output to trip a starter. Most of those use a trigger input to operate. I know that the main brands also do the 3x lock idea as well. All are hard wire as well.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Remote start is more than simply firing the starter. That hatch output is very momentary; starting the truck is much more involved as it needs to power the ignition, fuel pump, and then operate the starter for a predetermined amount of time where it expects to see a sufficient RPM signal on the tach wire to know it was successful, and stop trying if not. Also to come out of run mode when the brake pedal is pressed (to prevent theft.) And, to only run for a certain amount of time (most are 10-12 mins) for safety reasons. Finally, to disarm any alarm shock sensor you may have so that your engine/exhaust doesn't trip your alarm (if equipped.)

That's a lot of smarts you're expecting without bringing some more circuitry into the mix, either aftermarket, or homebrew like Jeremiah is talking about.

Richard

Chris Rogers

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I know this :) what I was getting at is most modules have an input that allows RS activation based on a pulse input.
I wasn't being clear in what I was saying vs what I was thinking.