Oem Radio Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I looking to install a OEM radio back into my 1991 truck. I see there are two different styles of head unit. Will any head unit work with any silver amp box under the dash? Or do I have to get one just for a model that doesen't have the tape deck? Anyone have a OEM radio they want to sell? Maybe a Blue center dash with the cubbie?

studigggs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just did the same thing. My wife and kids looked at me like I was crazy for ripping out a modern BLuetooth and USB player and installing a tape deck. Can't help you with the wiring differences, but eBay has some good deals on radios if you set an automatic search and wait out the expensive sellers.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
There are a couple different configurations these trucks could have been had with but three were most popular; AM/FM or AM/FM w/cassette or AM/FM w/ cassette and graphic equalizer. This part is important as the base & standard cassette deck radios got a different amp which worked in conjunction with the "Bass" and "Treble" buttons on the head unit. Check the RPO codes in the glove box to figure out what your truck had from the factory, if it isn't UP6, you've got the base type amp and will need the radio and or cassette deck & associated connector harnesses from a truck with just the "Bass" and "Treble" buttons.

The "Bass & Treb only" amps will work with the 5 band eq amps but that's when the weirdness starts; If you use a Bass & Treb only head unit with an equalizer amp and go to adjust Bass or Treb it'll only adjust two of the five available bands. Similar story if you use the inverse combination. Go for the equalizer radio and associated amp, you'll thank yourself later.

My truck ('89) was originally equipped with the base cassette deck radio. That was long gone by the time I got it, including the amp in favor of aftermarket junk. I found an '89 model year truck ('89 and '88 were specific model years in which the faceplate and buttons were either all black ['88] or gray face with black buttons ['89]) which had the more desirable tape deck with graphic equalizer and that's what I put in my truck. Mo betta. Buut there are some other things to keep in mind. Preferably, you want an amp from a '92-'94 truck as those have internal differences which make them play better with aftermarket speakers, ie the thing is more stable with a 4 ohm load or less. That is the route I took. The tape deck I got from that '89 was noisy so I swapped the face plate & buttons from the '89 to the one I pulled from that '92 or '93 truck. I also ran Infinity Kappa plate 4x6 speakers on all four corners. Much much much better than the stock garbly irritating crap GM put in from the factory. Best damn 4x6 speakers I've ever heard next to the plate systems JBL and Boston Acoustics used to make too. I'm very pleased with the way it sounds. I also went the extra mile and modified the set up to accommodate an aux input and USB charge port. There's a write up on this forum somewhere, I posted my pics to it..
Here: https://www.gmt400.com/threads/adding-aux-to-88-94-stock-stereo.41423/page-2#post-1044279

Last edited:

wb292

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for the info, That helps a lot. I'm restoring this truck to as close as possible to original. I'll check the RPO sticker this weekend.