OEM mufflers?!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

10mm Nut

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My local muffler shop buddy removes those stock mufflers left and right for folks who want loud replacements. He just throws the OEM mufflers onto his scrap trailer for recycling. I'd bet it's the same case in Dallas. Maybe find a friendly small time muffler shop and tell him that you're picky and want a stock muffler and get him to contact you next time someone comes in to have one cut off and replaced with louder.

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Walker Dynomax Bus Muffler. Have one on my Express van with headers and high flow cats. It was dual in/single out. Near stock in sound but flows very well. Its one massive, heavy SOB though.

Climbing a ~6% grade at highway speeds.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

WOT
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

You must be registered for see images attach

Ok, I think you're on to something. I've pretty much given up on finding a stock muffler at junkayrds. The place that had the one with the 8.1 told me they didn't have it when I called them. And it seems 2500 Avalanches are even more rare... I think they are 2.5" pipes?

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fixed! Got rid of that damn loud muffler!

Found an OEM muffler from a similar truck being parted out for cheap. Had a local muffler shop install it. Drive home was nice!

Used OEM muffler : $25
Labor to install : $100
Arriving home without a loud mess: priceless!

Attachments

• IMG_20210619_115628243.jpg
    IMG_20210619_115628243.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_20210619_115622013.jpg
    IMG_20210619_115622013.jpg
    338.1 KB · Views: 2

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey guys, I hope someone can help me. I've got a GMT800 2500 Suburban with the 6.0. The P.O. installed some Flowmasters. The muffler has 2 inlets and 2 outlets. It sounds kinda cool, but it's driving me nuts!

I'm used to factory sound. Does anyone know where I can find the factory muffler? Rockauto for some reason does not have this muffler listed? Are they like generic? I admittedly know know nothing about mufflers, LOL. X, Y, true duals? I'm clueless, just want to get factory sounding truck.

Also, do those clamps work well? What I'm asking is can I cut it off and put some extensions with clamps? I can weld and have a MIG setup, just don't know that I feel comfortable welding down there? Are the clamps durable?
The Walkers are essentially the same as the factory mufflers.

Which clamps are you referring to? There are a number of different designs.

As Shurkey mentions the SS mufflers will last a long time. After trying a Flowmaster, I put my original factory muffler back on (with a slight modification), and it is still solid after 266K.

90 Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I call them "Blowmasters" for that reason, LoL
Fixed! Got rid of that damn loud muffler!

Found an OEM muffler from a similar truck being parted out for cheap. Had a local muffler shop install it. Drive home was nice!

Used OEM muffler : $25
Labor to install : $100
Arriving home without a loud mess: priceless!

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The Walkers are essentially the same as the factory mufflers.

Which clamps are you referring to? There are a number of different designs.

As Shurkey mentions the SS mufflers will last a long time. After trying a Flowmaster, I put my original factory muffler back on (with a slight modification), and it is still solid after 266K.
I was asking about clamps in general. I was thinking of installing them myself when I created the thread. But decided to go the shop route instead; shop did a good job though. They had to bend some of the pipe with a hydraulic bender. I could have never done that myself.

I left the old rusty muffler at the shop, along with the claimed 25 magical horses that were packed inside or whatever they are good for, LOL.

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I was asking about clamps in general. I was thinking of installing them myself when I created the thread. But decided to go the shop route instead; shop did a good job though. They had to bend some of the pipe with a hydraulic bender. I could have never done that myself.

I left the old rusty muffler at the shop, along with the claimed 25 magical horses that were packed inside or whatever they are good for, LOL.
lol.....you did right!