OEM ground locations?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
Making new cables and need help figuring out factory ground wire set up.

Is it:
Battery NEG to Frame.
Frame to engine block.
Frame to firewall (cab).

where is best spot on engine to put the ground?

My truck currently runs:
Bat NEG to a/c compressor mount.
back of head to firewall.

I don't think mounting battery NEG to a/c mount is OEM.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You still on the 94 right?
If so....this is what I've got... replace all the factory stuff too like uou are doing.
--Bat neg to frame
--Bat neg to fender
--Bat neg to engine (bolt by thermostat housing)
--Block to firewall..

The positive...
--bat pos to starter
--bat pos to alternator
--bat pos to connection strip on the firewall.... (stock is from the starter to that strip)

sent from what use to be a great country...

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
All those grounds going to the Bat neg seems strange to me. Any one have a diagram of what does what on the firewall junction box?
I am thinking frame to thermostat housing would be better. I know the alternator mount needs a solid ground though.

I don't think I trust the bat neg to fender either. I'm pretty sure that's a factory location, but still.

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
You still on the 94 right?
If so....this is what I've got... replace all the factory stuff too like uou are doing.
--Bat neg to frame
--Bat neg to fender
--Bat neg to engine (bolt by thermostat housing)
--Block to firewall..

The positive...
--bat pos to starter
--bat pos to alternator
--bat pos to connection strip on the firewall.... (stock is from the starter to that strip)

So on the POS side I have nothing going from battery to the junction on the firewall. I have a wire from bat+ to fuse box by obd port. Am I risking anything by hooking up my bat+ to the junction? I am getting confused because someone in the past messed with the junction set up.

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Darn close! The neg went from the battery to the lower of the 2 bolt holes in the block to the passenger side of the balancer. The one that is to the thermostat housing is for the engine harness.
When I got my truck it was up on the manifold.. still had the factory cables on it.... mine never had a ground down below, just on the manifold...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So on the POS side I have nothing going from battery to the junction on the firewall. I have a wire from bat+ to fuse box by obd port. Am I risking anything by hooking up my bat+ to the junction? I am getting confused because someone in the past messed with the junction set up.
Technically you do...should.. stock goes from batt pos to starter then a smaller wire from the starter up to the junction strip on the firewall.. I've had wires melted I the past so I don't like putting them in the wire tube down the side of the block.. so I ran a new wire from bat to strip..

SkyHighColorado

^LIFTED^
Reaction score
meh I'm still not getting it and the wiring diagrams on google and autozone are a joke. I think its time for another junk yard run and check out some wiring for myself.