OEM bucket seat bolt hole differences?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Redsled

Reaction score
I searched and did see this asked so I apologize if this has been asked already.

I have a 91 sport 4x4 truck that came with bucket seats. I verified via the build codes and all of the factory bolt holes are present in my truck for buckets. Unfortunately somewhere along the line a previous owner removed them. So my truck had a bench seat when i bought it.

I bought a set of OEM seats from a guy who said they came out of his 92 truck. They do not have the armrest on the outside so they are not suburban seats.

So…. the drivers seat bolted into place just fine. The passenger seat….well the bolt holes on the seat frame are farther apart from front to back. They are not the normal 10.5 inches or so center to center. When you set the seat into the truck and align the two rear holes, the front holes in the seat frame are about 3 inches too far forward.

I can make a bracket and make them fit. Im just curious how this happened? Did GM changes bolt holt location distance over model years?

If i did it right there should be a picture attached showing the passenger seat in my truck and you can see what i am talking about.

Thanks!
You must be registered for see images attach

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
I searched and did see this asked so I apologize if this has been asked already.

I have a 91 sport 4x4 truck that came with bucket seats. I verified via the build codes and all of the factory bolt holes are present in my truck for buckets. Unfortunately somewhere along the line a previous owner removed them. So my truck had a bench seat when i bought it.

I bought a set of OEM seats from a guy who said they came out of his 92 truck. They do not have the armrest on the outside so they are not suburban seats.

So…. the drivers seat bolted into place just fine. The passenger seat….well the bolt holes on the seat frame are farther apart from front to back. They are not the normal 10.5 inches or so center to center. When you set the seat into the truck and align the two rear holes, the front holes in the seat frame are about 3 inches too far forward.

I can make a bracket and make them fit. Im just curious how this happened? Did GM changes bolt holt location distance over model years?

If i did it right there should be a picture attached showing the passenger seat in my truck and you can see what i am talking about.

Thanks!
Suburbans have an arm rest on the inside of the seat not the out side, and those are not front seats from a Regular cab 1992 truck. I am with someotherguy on this possibly from an extended cab truck. You should be able to bolt those seats to a GMT400 bucket base.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Wild guess but it may be a '92-'93 extended cab passenger seat with the slide-forward feature.

Richard
I believe you're right. That just goes to show how many '92-'93 Excabs seats I've worked on!

Shouldn't be all that hard to check if that's for an Excab
Looks like the seat is is at the furthest forward point of travel on the tracks. Isn't that what has to be done before the back of the cushion can be tilted up? If so, you should be able to now hit that release for the rear of the seat to lift up.
From experience with other seats with this feature, it may be equipped with a rather large spring to assist with tilting the rear up. So, make sure to hit the release with the seat upright. Not laying on it's side.
If that spring is anything like the one on the tracks which assists with the back-n-forth travel, it's probably under pretty severe tension when the seat is down. Hit that release with the seat on it's side & be prepared for the gut-punch. Those tracks are coming around NOW. Keep the digits outa the way.
But like I said, not sure. If I've had any experience with these seats it was minimal & probably a long time ago.
On the other hand...may of only been a couple of years ago.
#oldfartbrainfart.
Damn memory.

Redsled

Reaction score
I think you guys are right about the extended cab. I talked to the seller several times before I bought them and recall now he mentioned that at some point.

When i showed up to buy the seats he was telling me he took them out of his 92. So I probably misunderstood thinking (at the time of purchase) they originally came out of his 92. But now I’m thinking they came out an extended cab and what he was telling me was he had put them in his 92 and had since taken them out.

Nonetheless i got them in my truck. Here’s a pic of them in. The console isn’t installed yet. I need to get the bolts for that. Anyone know the size of those? Lol.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have the same issue with my 95 CCLB. I first noticed the seat flopped around and couldn’t understand why only the front was bolted down. Then noticed the “forward” lever and said ah-ha! For some reason a PO had switched out the seat for one from an extended cab. Must have been what was available since there is no need for that function with a 4 door lol!

Attachments

• 9386A036-67AF-46F9-914D-F73AB7E113DF.jpeg
    9386A036-67AF-46F9-914D-F73AB7E113DF.jpeg
    556.8 KB · Views: 11
  • C203A09F-7BF4-4077-BD14-4018C5A65168.jpeg
    C203A09F-7BF4-4077-BD14-4018C5A65168.jpeg
    469.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 9D39A5B2-24CE-4C67-8C26-FAF79CE46390.jpeg
    9D39A5B2-24CE-4C67-8C26-FAF79CE46390.jpeg
    525.7 KB · Views: 11