Obvious scams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
same truck shows up in shreveport cl.but really at this point wtf uses cl anymore?

Good point, I feel like there’s a 50/50 chance of a crime taking place if you tried to do any type of trading on CL these days, although I just bought some trees off CL the other day from a guy that was relatively normal. Brings up the question..rank your 5 favorite sites you would use today to find a used truck ..ready go

-Autotrader used to be a big deal 20 years ago but today it’s about dead it seems
- Craigslist just scares me
-Facebook marketplace, lots of people speak highly of it but since I don’t have or want a Facebook account I’m not sure it’s for me
- EBay, I can’t imagine how it works, I’d never personally buy a used vehicle without physical inspection
So..that leaves Car Gurus? eEdmunds?KBB?
What do you like?

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
Autotrader used to be the **** back in the day. I was always grabbing the latest edition in paperback at the local store. Obviously well before the internet. Now their online site is more geared toward dealership lots, and newer stuff. With them all wanting certified used cars, anything with some age to it, gets sent off to an auction, and ends up who knows where. Probably some small car lot, with no website to advertise on.

Never bought anything from Craigslist either.

No facebook account

I bought a $400 S10 off ebay once, from an individual that was only about an hour away. Mostly bypassed the ebay process, and finished the deal in person.

I use Autotrader, cargurus, and ebay as a search feature to see what's out there, then go to where it is, and make a deal or not. The last 4-5 vehicles I have/had, I found online this way.
Drove 2.5hrs to get my Silverado 2500, after "watching" it online for about 8-9 months. Knowing they had it that long, they were ready to get rid of it. First and only brand new vehicle I've ever bought, and got a really good deal on it.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
Autotrader used to be the **** back in the day. I was always grabbing the latest edition in paperback at the local store. Obviously well before the internet. Now their online site is more geared toward dealership lots, and newer stuff. With them all wanting certified used cars, anything with some age to it, gets sent off to an auction, and ends up who knows where. Probably some small car lot, with no website to advertise on.

Never bought anything from Craigslist either.

No facebook account

I bought a $400 S10 off ebay once, from an individual that was only about an hour away. Mostly bypassed the ebay process, and finished the deal in person.

I use Autotrader, cargurus, and ebay as a search feature to see what's out there, then go to where it is, and make a deal or not. The last 4-5 vehicles I have/had, I found online this way.
Drove 2.5hrs to get my Silverado 2500, after "watching" it online for about 8-9 months. Knowing they had it that long, they were ready to get rid of it. First and only brand new vehicle I've ever bought, and got a really good deal on it.

I can remember selling my 89 k3500 in auto trader before the internet, they sent a rep out to the house to take pictures for the magazine ad

ChrsLytn

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I can remember selling my 89 k3500 in auto trader before the internet, they sent a rep out to the house to take pictures for the magazine ad
Yep. That was a few moons ago when they sent out photographers. Now the most interesting publication on the little store counters with current pictures Is the "Just Busted" papers. You get to see all kinds of interesting people in that one. For a dollar! Might even see somebody you know. I've seen a couple.

dave s

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bought an awesome 77 Chevy Nova for my daughter in the early days of Ebay. Drove two hours away to get it. It was awesome! We were lucky. I have bought and sold stuff regularly on Craigslist for the past few years with good results. I just figure if it's too good to be true, it's probably a scam. My daughter called yesterday about a 98 Silverado on Facebook Marketplace for $800. Soon as I saw the pic she sent I knew it was a scam. We have a classifieds site here in Central Pa a lot of people use. Pennswoods classifieds. Bought and sold stuff on there as well. I used to cut out the small for sale adds in the back of Hot Rod magazine as a kid dreaming of the day I could call and buy one. I still have a tiny pic of a 69 DZ302 Camaro cut out somewhere in an old wallet I think. Those were the days!

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I bought and sold on craigslist and FB. Craigslist is pretty dead now, but if you search for vehicles $50-3000 and 1900-1995 you'll still see a handful of good project vehicles that are highly unlikely to be scams.

That's also the same search I use on FB, but I end up getting about a thousand vehicles for $1234. F*** those people. I won't click their link, even if it does look interesting. Every time I've sold my vehicles, I put the price I was asking and I never had a problem selling them.

I have bought from insurance auctions. I've bought two vehicles from CoPart, but if you're not a volume buyer, you end up paying an additional 50% in auction fees. I've watched IAAI's site, but I haven't bought anything from them. Their fee structure looks better, but their vehicle selection usually isn't as good as CoPart's.