Obvious scams

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mars2878

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
same truck shows up in shreveport cl.but really at this point wtf uses cl anymore?

I still use CL.
I dont give out my phone number because morons would call @ 2am about your ad. I force them to email me. I then ask where they are coming from & when they want to meet up. We meet @ a very public location of my choosing. Been doing it way for yrs & helps to weed out the tools.

Marketplace & Offerup, same thing. Meet up in a very public place of my choice after verifying where they are coming from.

All 3 for me are a hit or miss for buying/selling things. I can the same ads in all 3 places. This month will be all offerup sales, next month could be predominantly marketplace. Seeing how it's free, I still use all 3.

I have never had a bad experience w/ ebay myself, but I have heard of horror stories from others. Even as recent as last month. Example: brand new part in an unopened, shrink wrapped box. Plenty of pics for the ad, pics of it being prepped for shipping. Customer swapped out the parts for a totally different used part & ebay refunded the customer the $1700. Needless, they pulled every ad they had on ebay after that.

I remember/miss the, "The Big Want Ad" that used to be published bi-weekly. The hunt for the item that you wanted. Prices were what they thought that they were worth, not what some glorified reality tv show them.

BonestockK1500

LT265/75/R16
Reaction score
I still use CL.
I dont give out my phone number because morons would call @ 2am about your ad. I force them to email me. I then ask where they are coming from & when they want to meet up. We meet @ a very public location of my choosing. Been doing it way for yrs & helps to weed out the tools.

Marketplace & Offerup, same thing. Meet up in a very public place of my choice after verifying where they are coming from.

All 3 for me are a hit or miss for buying/selling things. I can the same ads in all 3 places. This month will be all offerup sales, next month could be predominantly marketplace. Seeing how it's free, I still use all 3.

I have never had a bad experience w/ ebay myself, but I have heard of horror stories from others. Even as recent as last month. Example: brand new part in an unopened, shrink wrapped box. Plenty of pics for the ad, pics of it being prepped for shipping. Customer swapped out the parts for a totally different used part & ebay refunded the customer the $1700. Needless, they pulled every ad they had on ebay after that.

I remember/miss the, "The Big Want Ad" that used to be published bi-weekly. The hunt for the item that you wanted. Prices were what they thought that they were worth, not what some glorified reality tv show them.

back in the day we got “The Flyer” in the mail every Thursday. It would have 30 pages of “ Misc for Sale” , along with cars, boats, animals and sporting goods (guns and fishing tackle). Simpler times, and you didn’t have to worry about Russian online con artists in The Flyer

1ton-o-fun

Automotive Durability Tester
Reaction score
There's a lot of stupid crap on Craigslist for sure. But it's also a treasure chest. I have a love/hate relationship with cl. It's fairly easy for me to find what I want or need and usually at a "I can't pass that up" price.

Most recently, it suckered me into my 500 cubic inch (8.2L... Hello Canada!) Cadillac engine. Yes, I purchased it on Ebay, but I found it on cl. The 17 people "watching" it on Ebay made me act fast.

Back to my self imposed ban from Craigslist...

Zeekstr

Reaction score
It’s fun to mess with the scammers. They are on Facebook too. Mess with them so they don’t scam the unsuspecting