OBS to NBS Master Cylinder Upgrade REPORT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gibson

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
On the step bore OBS MC, the primary bore pushes high volume up to a certain pressure then transitions to the smaller secondary bore and begins to develop pressure at a more rapid rate.

I know this is an ancient thread,,, but, the purpose of the "step bore" MC is somewhat diff from above.
The step bore MC is made to supply "high volume/low pressure" to the rear drum brakes with the large bore piston.
The small piston supplies "low volume/high pressure" to the front discs.
The two pistons are separated by brake fluid, and their is no "transition of pressure" from low to high.
Each piston operates its respective circuit in an independent manner.
The "transition" type, or "quick take-up" MC, is used for the new "low drag" all disc systems, and it uses three pistons,, but is not like the "step bore" MCs on the older rigs.

Last edited:

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I know this is an ancient thread,,, but, the purpose of the "step bore" MC is not what is stated above.
The step bore MC is made to supply "high volume/low pressure" to the rear drum brakes with the large bore piston.
The small piston supplies "low volume/high pressure" to the front discs.
The two pistons are separated by brake fluid, and their is no "transition of pressure" from low to high.
Each piston operates its respective circuit in an independent manner.

I believe it creates a front heavy bias as the 8 luggers don't have this.

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is the NBS disk/disk MC output equal between front and rear, or is there a bias...if a bias which nipple is assigned front or rear?

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The NBS masters are single bore masters, no bias applied there. It's probably applied inside the ABS pump as this is how the Corvette did it starting in 97.

dfarr67

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
OK sounds good, in a previous life the '89 had the rwal removed and re plumbed with front nipple feeding front brakes, rear feeding rear. I've ordered a 2008 Express 2500 disk/disk MC so this is a non issue, it's feeding a '99 disk/disk proportioning valve.

1998SSLT

Reaction score
it fits in a parking structure!? LOL

my picture uploading is not working....

mine virtually looks exactly like that though. all I have is the junction block, and the abs/proportioning unit... no other hardware, just lines.
but the 1993 master cylinder looks pretty huge....
I just hate how it always feels like there is air in these brakes!!! driving or engine off you can pump the pedal and feel pressure build. it always feels low at the start.
im saving to do all this when convenient: the new master, pads, rotors, and check all line flares for cracks (last year the truck got all new rubber lines so those seem just fine)

I wonder I the calipers could be drawing in air...

xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Have you tried this yet? Mine were as you described and I did this. It helped a lot.

needlenose

Reaction score
I have a 99 Suburban C1500 and my brake lines are different sizes. The front(from the m/c) is much larger than the rear(on the m/c).

I don't *think* this will be a problem since both holes have the same taper? The front will just sit further down on the taper before tightening? Has anyone else done this swap with these lines?

You must be registered for see images

https://ibb.co/FYjD2Bg

https://ibb.co/TMJCh8M

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
First off, your pics dont work. Yes, I have a 2002 Tahoe MC on my 97. It takes a brake line adaptor. You can get it at autozone. Its blp 22, or 23 I dont remember. There is a thread on here about the swap, and it gives you all the info you need. Here is a pic of mine installed . I did the swap a few years ago. Its been good for me. I havent had any issues with the swap .
You must be registered for see images attach
You must be registered for see images attach

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My bad, the parts you need are on the very first post of this thread.

needlenose

Reaction score