OBS Ford dually wheels fit?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I’ve discovered that at least my two outer rear wheels are the later 8x170 pattern Ford wheels. I’m betting the whole set is the same and want to find a replacement set of rims before I tear into anything. According to what I’ve seen on Google, Ford had the 8x6.5 pattern through 98.

Can anyone confirm OBS Ford dually wheels will fit my C3500 before I drive an hour to get them?

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have seen several 8 lug GMT400's with those Alcoa wheels (singles not duals) that came originally on Fords.

According to some online info I found, Ford 8 lug was 8x165 all the way from 1955-1998. What's not mentioned is the hub bore. Stud size was 9/16" (and in some cases 1/2", which I'll take an educated guess and say those are the much older generation trucks.)

This member, 1992prime, is running Ford Alcoas on his 1992 K2500 Suburban, that should confirm bolt pattern as your dually runs the same pattern. His wheels are from a mid to late 90's Ford, but using a push-through center cap instead of the Ford cap which appears to snap over the lug nuts and covers them. I think I like the exposed lugs on 1992's truck better.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that Richard! For now I’m just looking to find some 16” steel replacements and stumbled across an ad for 6 OBS Ford rims for $250. Even at that it’s money I don’t really want to spend on my “daily driver” but I’m not comfortable with running what I’ve got now.

On the center bore I found the Ford rims listed at 124.9mm and GM at 116.6mm. Looks like hub centric rings are available to bridge the gap though. Not 100% certain I’m going this route yet but not finding anything GM that’s decently priced and somewhat local.

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks for that Richard! For now I’m just looking to find some 16” steel replacements and stumbled across an ad for 6 OBS Ford rims for $250. Even at that it’s money I don’t really want to spend on my “daily driver” but I’m not comfortable with running what I’ve got now.

On the center bore I found the Ford rims listed at 124.9mm and GM at 116.6mm. Looks like hub centric rings are available to bridge the gap though. Not 100% certain I’m going this route yet but not finding anything GM that’s decently priced and somewhat local.
Ouch! Yeah, considering in most cases these duallies use hubcentric wheels (as the OEM GM wheels are), that hub bore difference would bother me.

So I'm curious, what is on the truck right now? I get the impression you have some 99-up Ford wheels that are the 8x170? They're not actually mounted on the truck, are they? Because that small difference adds up to a lot in a bolt pattern and I can't wrap my head around them even being able to mount up. I know a lot of the Mopar guys are running Mustang drag wheels on their Chargers/Challengers - they mount up OK because the bolt pattern difference is very slight at 5x115mm (Mopar) vs. 5x114.3mm (Ford) and plenty of them have the "haven't had any problems" attitude, but I don't think I would feel safe doing it.

I also gotta say I'm surprised you can't find 16" stock dually wheels for your truck. When I had my yard that was something I couldn't hardly give away at any price. There aren't any self-service yards near you? That's usually a really cheap item at those types of places.

Richard

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You don't indicate where in Ohio you are but I just did a quick check on car-part dot com using Columbus as a reference point since it's kind of centrally located; there's a bunch of results showing average $40-$60 per wheel for the original GM 16" steel. A lot of times the inventory info is old, but it's worth checking with them.

Richard

Pro439

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if you put aftermarket 8 hole wheels on the center hole does not fit the axle. The taper of the lug nuts is what centers the wheel. To my knowledge all aftermarket wheels are made like this

LCALDERA98

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

not sure if this helps but theseare the wheels for a 97 f350

someotherguy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So if you put aftermarket 8 hole wheels on the center hole does not fit the axle. The taper of the lug nuts is what centers the wheel. To my knowledge all aftermarket wheels are made like this
This is true only if the wheels are lugcentric, which most of the lighter trucks are. 1500, 2500, and 3500 SRW GMT400's come from factory with lugcentric wheels, where the lugs have a 60° conical seat and the lug hole on the wheel has a corresponding taper. The center bore may or may not be snug on the hub. The lug holes in the wheel are only slightly larger than the studs, and as you tighten the lugs, they center up the wheel.

Hubcentric wheels on the other hand must have a snug fit to the hub as that and that alone is what centers the wheel. The lug holes have a flat face! No conical seat. The lugs will usually have a captive/integral washer that still spins as the lug is tightened down. A great exception that confuses some folks would be for example a GMT400 3500 dually - these wheels are hubcentric! Yet they use the typical 60° conical seat lug nuts with the external threads so you can attach the center caps using the black plastic lug caps. Note the 60° lugs must be used with the "clamping ring" - the big ring with the lug holes that has.. you guessed it.. flat face on the back, and tapered holes for the lug nuts.

To sum up, a GMT400 3500 dually uses hubcentric wheels. If you intend to use some wheels with a larger hub bore, they -must- have tapered lug nut seats so you can use the conical lugs, so they center properly. However, I'd still be nervous about their load carrying ability as now you're putting all the load on the studs, instead of the hub.

Example.. though these are off my '94 3500HD which use a 90° (kind of unique to the HD) conical seat lug, onto a clamping ring, onto hubcentric wheels - the clamping rings should be familiar to you since you have them on your dually, too.

With that setup, the conical seat lugs can be used, but they're not centering the wheel - the hub bore fit to the hub is doing that job.

When I installed Alcoa wheels onto my other 3500HD, the '95, I had to get the lugs with the integral/captive washers so I wouldn't have those funky clamp rings messing up the appearance of my Alcoas. Also, those lugs retain the center caps at the edge of a slight bevel in the washer.

Richard

Last edited:

bretcopsey

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I'm curious, what is on the truck right now? I get the impression you have some 99-up Ford wheels that are the 8x170? They're not actually mounted on the truck, are they? Because that small difference adds up to a lot in a bolt pattern and I can't wrap my head around them even being able to mount up.
Richard

Yep, they are on the truck. I had a helper bag blow out from rubbing on the backing plate and went to remove the wheel for the first time since buying the truck. Removed all 8 lug nuts and the rim wouldn’t budge. Running the numbers on the wheel came back as 8x170. It is going to take some prying and/or knocking out some studs to get them off.

To be fair I’ve only checked Marketplace and Craigslist so far, looking for someone with a full set to prevent driving all over the place piecing something together. Most of what I’m finding within reasonable distance is Ford & Dodge, or aftermarket and more than I want to spend. Found a decent deal on some 17” GM wheels but don’t want to have to buy 6 new tires…

There is a LKQ about 20 minutes away (I’m south of Dayton) but they don’t get many duallies and seem to pull most wheels when stuff comes in. There are only ever random wheels scattered about every time I’ve been there.

I appreciate all the responses!

Attachments

• 35666EFB-A0E9-4BCF-8E20-2AB7185680F3.jpeg
    35666EFB-A0E9-4BCF-8E20-2AB7185680F3.jpeg
    314.5 KB · Views: 12
  • 5FBB5996-36A0-405A-99A8-5C64EF8C171E.jpeg
    5FBB5996-36A0-405A-99A8-5C64EF8C171E.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 11
  • F9C7BE17-7D07-459A-A5B3-89C932F5A0EB.jpeg
    F9C7BE17-7D07-459A-A5B3-89C932F5A0EB.jpeg
    260 KB · Views: 10
  • 9F8BC62D-3816-46C5-8951-407D0FBBD862.jpeg