OBDLink, trans temp 97 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sync

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So, got one of those bluetooth adapters (OBDLink MX+).

So far, pretty dang nice, app is ok so far, it also has support for open source PCM tuning (I have not looked further than that as of yet).

What I can't figure out, does a 97 have the ability to report trans temp? I've found a little information about adding custom PIDs but, it just reports no data.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So, got one of those bluetooth adapters (OBDLink MX+).

So far, pretty dang nice, app is ok so far, it also has support for open source PCM tuning (I have not looked further than that as of yet).

What I can't figure out, does a 97 have the ability to report trans temp? I've found a little information about adding custom PIDs but, it just reports no data.

97 does show trans temp in the data stream. Even my 95 did. I will add though, fluid leaving the converter on the way to the cooler can be far hotter than the fluid in the pan where the OE sensor sits on the MPS assembly.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
97 does show trans temp in the data stream. Even my 95 did. I will add though, fluid leaving the converter on the way to the cooler can be far hotter than the fluid in the pan where the OE sensor sits on the MPS assembly.
How much hotter you think? 15°-20° hotter?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Entirely depends on how the vehicle is driven. If the converter clutch is engaged, I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

If the clutch is disengaged, and the engine is run with heavy throttle at low vehicle speed (converter at or near stall speed)...the temp difference could be considerable. Converter slippage results in hot trans fluid.

They put the temp sensor in the pan because that's the temp that matters most. Don't over-think this.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Entirely depends on how the vehicle is driven. If the converter clutch is engaged, I wouldn't expect a huge difference.

If the clutch is disengaged, and the engine is run with heavy throttle at low vehicle speed (converter at or near stall speed)...the temp difference could be considerable. Converter slippage results in hot trans fluid.

They put the temp sensor in the pan because that's the temp that matters most. Don't over-think this.
While I mostly agree, I have seen fluid get torched by the converter and the pan sensor never gets hot enough to put it into Hot mode. I actually dropped the temp values for hot mod from 265F to 210F on my van. Hot mode is programmed to lock the converter sooner and keep it locked more.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
The cheapest way that I found to get trans temp in my 97 was Dash command app and pay $10 for the upgraded features.

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
I believe its anything, I have it on an old iPad that I wasnt using for anything else, or I believe they support laptops and androids also.