OBD1 codes 33, 34, 45.... and more great news....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The title is complete sarcasm if that's not obvious. I put the finishing touches on my 88 (found out it's actually an 89) RCSB and took it for a test drive before surprising the inspection station.

Never made it there.

It was running pretty good until I had to go up a hill to get home. Complete power loss, and the passenger side of the engine is spewing oil (and has enough smoke to make Phillip Morris jealous). I'm also getting codes 33, 34, and 45.

Now what?

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Details? Is it all original? 454? 350?

How can the circuit be both high and low at the same time? Do you have an ALDL scanner to see live engine data? Where is the oil coming from? Pics?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL @ 454 and 350. Try 262. Yes a 4.3L V6.

I didn't know this friggen thing had a MAP sensor. Well, thanks you youtube, I found the sensor and it *appeared* plugged in. The electrical connector was just sitting there, inside the plug. So I wiggled it and it came right off. I guess that's how it can be high and low at the same time.

Cleaned and reinstalled, this time I made SURE it was securely plugged in. The vacuum line is ok, too.

That actually extinguished the check engine light, but hasn't solved the power loss problem. The passenger side definitely has a miss, maybe on multiple cylinders, and I'm sure all of that oil spewing everywhere isn't helping. It's not the valve cover gasket. I've just replaced both of them.

Sorry, no pics. I'll get a new phone when one is given to me, much like millennial children have electronics spoon fed to them (and all the lies and BS that come with it).

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, now that's maybe a little more calmed down, I went ahead and quickly checked for any more vacuum leaks or things unplugged. There was one more vacuum line on the front of the TBI, disconnected. It only goes to the charcoal canister, but it's still a "leak". With that plugged back in, eh, it's a little better, but there's still definitely a miss on the passenger side. No more check engine light, though.

For those of you wondering about live data, it's not happening. Not unless I magically find the correct scanner at my front door.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No more check engine light, though.
Check again, the ECM doesn't always keep the SES light on but, it stores the codes for 30 - 40 key cycles. Maybe reset it by disconnecting the battery, then go for a ride (after you hook it back up, ha ha). Then see if you have any new codes.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I appreciate the advice, but that's not going to stop the oil gushing out of the passenger side. I should rename this thread to "Niagara Falls has competition".

Another things, I don't mean to be taking a tone on the forums... but I'm at the end of my rope here. If anyone cares to do this, use lying google to see what "Losing my Religion" means.

I'm considering taking a vacation day from work, Monday morning, just to be able to de-stress for a day.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
that's not going to stop the oil gushing out of the passenger side. I should rename this thread to "Niagara Falls has competition".
A shot in the dark - is your Oil Pressure Switch on the china rail in place? It is mounted on an elbow, behind the distributor, which points towards the passenger side (red circle).

You must be registered for see images attach

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My oil pressure switch is mounted on the bottom driver side, in front of the oil filter. It is present.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My oil pressure switch is mounted on the bottom driver side, in front of the oil filter. It is present.
I'm not positive with your 4.3L but my 88 5.7L that Oil Pressure Sender (not switch) is for the gauge, the switch on the china rail is for the fuel pump.