O2 sensor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A-2 ace

Reaction score
What's up guys, my 88 k1500 only has one o2 and I have a true dual exhaust from the manifolds back with on cats and my truck seems to be running rich? My question is do I need to add another o2 sensor to the passenger side?

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Determine if it's actually running rich first..

Without cats, your exhaust will have a distinct "fuel" smell you can easily mistake for running rich.

Other suspects would be bad CTS, cracked/loose vacuum line to MAP sensor, for actual rich condition.

I think on a TBI system with true duals, it would be easier to add an H or X pipe and put the bung there for the O2, convert it to a 3 wire (heated) unit, than figure out how to have 2 O2 sensors on a system that supports 1. Could be wrong there and interested in hearing from anyone that has installed 2.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think on a TBI system with true duals, it would be easier to add an H or X pipe and put the bung there for the O2, convert it to a 3 wire (heated) unit, than figure out how to have 2 O2 sensors on a system that supports 1. Could be wrong there and interested in hearing from anyone that has installed 2.
The older ECMs only have provisions for 1 O2 sensor. If you add an H pipe and move the O2 sensor down there, you will have timing issues between when the ECM sees feedback and when it responds with fuel trims (called "Duration Offset vs Air Flo"), which can cause stumbling especially at idle. There is a table in the .bin where you can tune the delay of response to get it closer but, that takes tuning, logging, and burning the chip.

Unless the right side bank has a misfire or something else different than the left side, where the O2 is, it shouldn't make a difference. As Richard suggested, other sensors can be the issue. I know it's the same old response but, put a scanner on it and see what's going on. Your O2 sensor may be getting lazy too.

A-2 ace

Reaction score
OK I will try and get to the parts store today to run a scan and see what codes come up... the o2 looks pretty old as well maybe I'll replace it just for the sake of doing so... I've thought about upgrading it to a 3 wire. Would doing so be worth the extra work?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The parts-store may read codes. They are unlikely to look at the data stream, where much of the useful information is. Reading codes is probably not sufficient in your case.

Some of us have upgraded to the heated O2 sensor. Some of us found it useful. I'm still undecided. If you need a new sensor anyway, I suppose you might as well get a heated sensor and the wire harness to connect it.