O2 sensor Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck is a 88 1500 with the 5.7 Has long tube headers. How important is it to have the O2 sensors on. When I purchased the truck he told me he never put the o2 sensors on. Truck throws a CE light about 10-15 minutes after driving but will clear if I turn the truck off for a few minutes. Can someone send me a picture where and what the o2 sensor plugs look like.

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Front o2 sensors adjust fuel trim ratios. rear o2 sensors (the ones, or one behind the cat or cats) tell the ECM that the cats are working. Dont have a pic.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 88 trucks had 1 O2 sensor at the back of the driver's side exhaust manifold. I put on shorty headers and the narrow band heated O2 sensor there. Later I installed a wide band O2 at the end of my Y pipe.

You must be registered for see images attach

For your long tube headers, you can buy a bung for an O2 sensor or something like this

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/...MI2Pyinrme4wIVR57ACh2XQQs7EAQYAiABEgJoIvD_BwE

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep...ONE O2 sensor in '88. OEM is a one-wire, non-heated. Last one I bought was about $15.
^^^what he said.
One issue with a 1-wire O2 and long tube headers, when the engine is breathing better the O2 may get too cold at idle to give proper feedback thus causing it to go into open loop until it heats back up. If you decide to go heated, go with a 4-wire, that will guarantee the sensor has a good path to ground.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can you point me in the right direction for a heated o2. I had to run about 1 foot of extra wire to get it connected.

What?

Reaction score
Also, I recommend avoiding Bosch, I usually have nothing but issue with them on the GM. Denso, Delphi, Delco works pretty great for me.

Casey Price

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well that didn't fix the check engine light. Keeps throwing code 32 and 43. Has me scratching my head. From all that I've read on here it could be a majority of things.

All the egr stuff is new and passages are free and clear.

Was told the cap, rotor and plug wires are new. just put new plugs in it Monday.

Guess 'll start with the fuel filter and work my way forward.