O2 sensor bung.....wow.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Let it be known, I had to borrow my Wifes phone to take pics, specifically for this post. I haven't been taking pics because my phone refuses to do so....

So, in my attempt to make my exhaust pass PA ******* emissions, I went ahead and took the Y-pipe off, because I knew the O2 sensor was going to give me problems.

EDIT: WOW.... l i b t a r d is censored?!?!?

@Schurkey, these are for you since you'd mentioned replacing the O2 sensor long ago. With the Y-pipe in a bench vise:

You must be registered for see images attach

LOL!!!! That took zero effort.

Oh my! I barely hit this with a torch, not knowing what would happen. Good thing I have O2 sensor bungs laying around. I'm LOL'ing as I post these.

New O2 sensor from Rock Auto. That, and I have a whole box of goodies that I'm trying to get installed by Saturday night.

Anyway, commence the pointing and laughing.

Last edited:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
LOL, just when you least expect it, it all breaks off in your hands! lol. God bless small favors lol

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Is that a replacement pipe, or did GM use aluminized steel on the earlier trucks?

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Is that a replacement pipe, or did GM use aluminized steel on the earlier trucks?

Hell if I know lol. That Y-pipe is what came with the truck. The only history I have on this poor thing is what work I've done on it. The PO said it belonged to his ex-wife's boyfriend, and it had an open title.

I need to get a cheap camera. I'm not buying a whole new phone just for a camera. That's a waste of money.

Anyway, I've otherwise fixed both exhaust manifolds, dealt with the A.I.R. issue, and now I'm just putting it all back together and fixing onesies and twosies as I find them.

Oh, did I mention that I found a quarter sized rot-through on the front of the cab, right behind the driver side fender, near the bottom? Figures, as that's where the new floor pan is, so that's where most of the rust is. Question is - fix it right or just bondo it and wait until the rest of the cab rusts apart?

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
if you are gonna do that work you may wanna consider upgrading to a heated sensor. that 1 wire is fine but it only benefits your truck to have Closed loop functionality earlier

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OE headpipe on my '95 C2500 is a wrinkle bent unit just like O.P.'a. Its made of factory stainless type metal. The O2 sensor is downstream of the Y, just like O.P's. I suspect the pipe in the pic is the OE unit.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OE headpipe on my '95 C2500 is a wrinkle bent unit just like O.P.'a. Its made of factory stainless type metal. The O2 sensor is downstream of the Y, just like O.P's. I suspect the pipe in the pic is the OE unit.

Likely, yes.

The only parts of the exhaust that were savable, and likely original, are the exhaust manifolds and Y-pipe. Oddly, that Y-pipe is usually the FIRST thing to rot out. It'll rot at the flanges meeting the manifolds and then exactly at the O2 sensor where I just fixed today.

As for the manifolds, they HAVE to be a one year only thing. I've been looking far a wide for a replacement A.I.R. pipe, only to find out that the original IS weldable. It won't take a magnet, so I assumed not ferrous = not weldable. Well, that's total BS because I was able to jimmy rig something to pass emissions - with a MIG welder.

Damn I wish the RPO sticker in the glove box was legible. I'd be curious to see just what this truck is supposed to be equipped with.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
It just looks so rusty, I thought maybe it wasn't stainless. I don't think mine looks that bad, and I live in MI. Now I want to go look.... but it's 1:30am.

DeCaff2007

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It just looks so rusty, I thought maybe it wasn't stainless. I don't think mine looks that bad, and I live in MI. Now I want to go look.... but it's 1:30am.

HA! That's considered the norm around here.

Anyway, I didn't have any real question here as this thread was for entertainment purposes. On to the next impossible mission.