NV4500 PLEASE use right fluid

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Called them during my lunch break. Told them how I felt (kinda passive aggressive) and told them straight up that I was gonna sue them. They agreed to PayPal (friends and family) me the full amount that I paid plus the money for the Amsoil.

Getting a recently rebuilt nv4500 from a 98 to go into my 94 and will be rebuilding my orginal nv4500 out of my 94 to put into something.

bamabound

Reaction score
1st, correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the NV4500 also come behind diesels?
2nd, anyone have history of any other brands besides GM of properly lubricating these trans, ie Amsoil, Redline etc?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Glad they finally refunded you. Shame that it took the threat of legal action to get that done, but that's better than having to follow through on it.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
Glad they finally refunded you. Shame that it took the threat of legal action to get that done, but that's better than having to follow through on it.

Isn't that the way it has to go these days? Very unfortunate but I've yet to find someone who takes 100% of the blame without a scapegoat of some sort. You've always gotta fence with people...

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
1st, correct me if I'm wrong, but didnt the NV4500 also come behind diesels?
2nd, anyone have history of any other brands besides GM of properly lubricating these trans, ie Amsoil, Redline etc?

1. Yes. Behind both the GM 6.5 and the Dodge Cummins. 96+ the GM nv4500 bellhousing to trans bolt pattern different. And the 95+ lost the super low 1st gear.

2. Amsoil claims they have oil specifically designed for the NV4500. Standard Transmission and Gear in Fort Worth Texas says that's what they use and recommend

The shop that rebuilt mine put in the wrong fluid. No doubt. At minimum they should have used Amsoil, which is what I ended up putting into it. Driving it about 200 miles so far with the Amsoil and 3rd gear doesn't grind. It still takes a extra breath to wait for the scychro to slow down enough for it to drop into gear. So there's definitely a difference between Valvoline and Amsoil. I cant find GM fluid within 250 miles of me. So that's why I'm sticking with Amsoil.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The trans is already on its way out. That pause will get longer and longer and all the material from the bad syncro is eating up the rest of the internals. This is a classic NV4500 failure mode. I've driven them (in other people's trucks, wrecker biz) until they failed this way because "the boss" didn't want to spend the money to repair them until they outright failed.

You can stick to that Amsoil if you want but it offers zero advantage over the GM fluid other than possibly the availability to you angle, the GM fluid IS available, and -nobody- can argue that it's not the correct fluid. Your choice.

Richard

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I know it IS available, just super hard to get ahold of.

The GM fluid is the correct fluid but we have a truck at work, been running Amsoil pulling a 33ft goose neck everyday. It's been running Amsoil for 5 or 6 years. Not a single issue.

Allen4rmGromLak

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
It shouldn't have went out in less than 300 miles. That's sorry work they did. Plain and simple. Still gonna get the 94 trans rebuilt. Thinking putting it something like a early 50s chevy or a rat rod. I already have a stock rebuilt 305 out of a 92 c1500. Think that combo would work in a early 50s chevy or a rat rod.

I may end up rebuilding the trans too.

TICK

Reaction score
im building a nv4500 as wa speak, bad syncros, 3rd grinding. out of 98 k2500